Friday, July 15, 2005

Ralph In The Box

We have several forest fires burning in Colorado. So far, I have not been involved, which is good. These days when I get involved, something has gone wrong. Very, very wrong.

But, back when I got married, I was a crew boss (on fires not at home). A crew boss is responsible for a twenty-person crew. He is to give the crew direction through out the day, make sure they have what they need, deal with the financial issues, and most importantly make sure everyone gets home safe. Many people on the crew were in the same situation – fighting forest fires was the only opportunity we had to make additional money. We all jumped at the chance to go on fires if for no other reason than to supplement our income.

We had been on one fire for fifteen days and were heading home. I was told we were being diverted to another fire that had just started. This news had mixed reviews. On one hand, we had it in our minds we were going home but we also saw the opportunity for additional money. It really didn’t matter what we wanted. We were available; we were going to the new fire.

We arrived late in the evening and true to form, as with most new fires, things were in a state of disarray. The command post was still in the back of a U-Haul truck, communications hadn’t figured out the radio frequencies, key people in the command staff were still trying to get there, and most importantly, food and supplies were slow in arriving.

In the Spring, at night, especially at high elevations the temperature drops off rapidly. This is good for controlling the fire but bad if you and your crew were expecting sleeping bags to be available. They were ordered but hadn’t arrived. Everyone started scrambling trying to find something, anything, to keep them warm that night. It was forecasted to be in the mid thirties. Tarps are always the first to go followed closely by cardboard boxes. Many people would get two boxes and tear them down. You would sleep on one and “cover up” with the other.

I was walking behind the supply tent to get me a couple of cardboard boxes when I saw it - the most perfect cardboard box in the world. I studied it briefly and decided not to break it down. Given my stature, I figured I could fit in that cardboard box. Then by closing the flaps stay fairly warm.

The crew gave off a little laughter as I proceeded to climb into my well . . . sleeping box. Yeah, it was a little cramped and I was a little crunched up but it was warm.

Sleep did not come easy that night. I was twisted up pretty good in that cardboard boxes and supply trucks and buses bringing in additional crews were arriving about every fifteen minutes.

Just when I was about to fall asleep a hand grabbed my cardboard box and someone gave it a good tug. It almost pulled me over. That irritated me. I jumped up, kind of like well . . . a Ralph-In-The-Box. My arms were waving in the air, my hair was all messed up, and I was probably yelling something.

It was a guy from an Indian crew. He saw the box and like everyone else was just trying to find something to stay warm with. When I popped out of that box, his eyes were the size of silver dollars. He took one look at me and ran up the mountain.

The next day we got our section of line tied in with the other fire crew. That's when I realized the crew boss was the one that pulled on my cardboard box the night before. He stared at me and I stared at him. Suddenly, he had his whole crew standing around him and he was telling them something in their native tongue. I thought he might be telling them I was the great cardboard box spirit. But, the way he was crouching down and laughing, I don’t think so.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

That's a great story Ralph. Thanks once again for providing us with insight into something we know nothing about.
I hesitate to bring this up,,,,and I'm not for a second questioning your veracity but tell me one more time about your 'hair' flying. Was that back when you had one.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I enjoyed this story quite a bit. In fact, I enjoy reading your things every time you post something. Cliff's notes add a picture of your friendships. That's good.

Thanks for stoppping by my site yesterday.

7:54 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

HAHA That was pretty funny, I can only imagine the poor guys face. We have a lot of firs out here too. My husband works at a TV station out here(eng) but has in the past run the Sat. truck. He had gone to a few of those fires. NOT FUN, Thanks for what you did. Do you still go out?

5:51 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

Ralph that was a very good story. I really liked how you explained how people set up for fighting fires, the only thing I know about it is what you hear in the news. They don't generally cover the bits and pieces regarding where you're going to sleep or what you're going to eat. Most Americans just think you guys are superman and not needing such things. Like just a mom said, thanks for fighting those fires!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

My husband is a volunteer fireman and has been in some hairy places. Thankfully, sleeping in a cardboard box being harassed in the middle of the night by other firefighters trying to take his shelter is not something he's experienced! *G*

11:27 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Great story Ralphie! FUNNY!!!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

My hubba has been a volunteer fireman, but not slept in a box.(the couch, yes...) I laughed so hard at "Ralph in a box", as you "cranked up your story" to the box grabber being your crewboss. You certainly weave words together in an interesting way.

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home