Friday, April 21, 2006

Another Reason to Plant Trees

We are still celebrating Arbor Day in Colorado. We'll be doing it for the next few weeks. Right now is a real busy time but I hope to be back checking your blogs shortly. Also, at this time of year, I receive many tree stories from friends around the state. Got this one a day or two ago.

I hired a plumber to help me restore an old farmhouse, and after he had just finished a rough first day on the job, a flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric drill quit, and his ancient one-ton truck refused to start.

While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence. On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands.

When opening the door he underwent an amazing transformation. His face was wreathed in smiles, and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.

Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.

"Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, those troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So, I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home and ask God to take care of them. Then in the morning I pick them up again."

"Funny thing is," he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there aren't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."

10 Comments:

Blogger Miki said...

good story, Ralph, sometimes it helps to have a place to hang your troubles, and then it is a happier life!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wonderful story Ralph.

Glad you are keeping busy but we miss you in blogland.

Don't work too hard!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

What a refreshing and heart-warming post!
The trees been budding here which = major allergies for me, but they sure are pretty!
Happy Spring to you and yours!
P.S. Upon my return to being absent a while from blogland, I saw Char aka "Ralph's wife" post on Cliff's blog. Pleaase hug her extra (as if you need any reason!) I smile when I drop by either of your blogs; they're so neigbhorly and often there is subtle humor, which I adore!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

beautiful my friend, beautiful.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Very neat story. It reminds me of the scripture, "Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you."

11:03 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What a beautiful story! I like the imagery. Perhaps I'll adopt his methods. Thanks for sharing this!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

I like the trouble tree, and I think I'll hang my troubles there and NOT pick them up again.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story...if more of us did that, our lives would be so much happier.

I am going to get one of those trees and put it along the path to my door. That story was very refreshing to hear and I'm glad I stopped in to visit.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That's a good reason to plant a tree. I think it should be a fast growing one.

per Kathy Huber, our Houston Chronicle garden expert:
'Houston celebrates Arbor Day the third Friday of January, months ahead of the rest of the country. That's because spring comes early here, and the ideal time to plant trees is before they break dormancy.'
[www.chron.com for the Houston Chronicle on-line][this article was Jan 20, 2006]
Kathy is at kathy.huber@chron.com
..

11:58 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ralph, I sort of do that too. When I get home, I hang my troubles on our cats with my foot. The next morning, before I leave, my foot makes contact again. It never failes, everyday the annoying cats meet me at the door to remind me to leave my troubles with them. I like your story.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home