Sunday, March 26, 2006

Meatloaf

I never have and never will call meatloaf my favorite food. There is just something about it I don’t like. But, after eating it once a month for a year, I am starting to acquire a taste for it.

A year ago, Char and I took her dad out to dinner. He was at the rehabilitation center and wasn’t doing well. You could tell he was not feeling good but he wanted to go to dinner. I asked him what he wanted to eat. He replied, “Buffalo”. Now he was on a lot of medications and I thought he might be a little delirious so I asked him again. He replied, “Ralph, I want buffalo.” Alrighty then - buffalo it is.

A new restaurant specializing in buffalo had just opened, Ted’s Montana Grill. They offer buffalo burgers, buffalo steaks, buffalo French dip, etc. Vic ordered buffalo meatloaf and proceeded to clean his plate. Not bad for a guy who, according to the nurses, didn’t have much of an appetite.

He passed away two days later. That’s when I wrote ‘The First Day’.

I decided that on or around the 21st of every month, I was going to go to Ted’s Montana Grill and eat buffalo meatloaf. It was kind of my tribute to Vic. We go there at other times and I’ve had other things but on the 21st, it’s meatloaf. Char always has a little fun with it because when we go in and sit down I don’t even open the menu. She gets that little glimmer in her eye and starts to smile before she asks what I am going to get. She knows – buffalo meatloaf.

This past week was the one-year anniversary. Once a month for the past year, I ate buffalo meatloaf out of respect for Vic. Char and I decided to continue it at least for another year.

Funny thing – I am starting to like meatloaf.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I have never eaten buffalo meat.
I went back and read your post "The First Day." That was a good one Ralph.

I love meatloaf. I don't like ketchup on it like lots of folks do. I would think buffalo meatloaf would be about the same as meatloaf with ground beef? Nothing better than a good old meatloaf sandwich with mayo! Yum Yum!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love meatloaf, if it's cooked right. Mom mom was an excellent cook, but her meatloaf was just awful. I don't know why. But I like every other meatloaf I've had.

I read "The First Day". Your father-in-law must have been quite a guy. That was a nice tribute.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel - A lot of people love those sandwiches. I have never had one.
Jerry - Yeah, he was.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

A flood of memories hit me with your post Ralph. I recall riding with you to see Vic on what was probably the same day or the day after the buffalo meat dinner. He was so gracious and proper while he greeted Marilyn and I. And then you called us two days later about his passing. Good, good, man.
I agree with Rachel, nothing beats a good meatloaf sandwich with mayo.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

I really like meatloaf, but I have never had buffalo meatloaf. "The First Day" post is very special!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

OK Ralph, sorry about the buffalo comment.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

Such a loyal and honoring (and sentimental, too) thing to do for Vic.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Nice tribute to your F-I-L, Ralph. I was never one for meatloaf, either, but within the past year I have concocted my own recipe and is it ever good! My first wife says it's the best meatloaf she's ever had.

(Secret: I put in a ground up lemon rind per pound of meat. I use tortilla crumbs instead of bread crumbs. I include a dash of chili seasoning--not powder. I have picante sauce on the table.)

12:13 PM  
Blogger mckay said...

so sweet. i'm a sucker for the mushy family stuff. i almost got teary eyed, until i saw that godawful dinnerware. ewwu! ;-)

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, what's the nasty looking green stuff beside the meat loaf?

I liked meat loaf as a kid, but now it just doesn't do anything for me.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home