Saturday, April 08, 2006

April

It’s April in Colorado! Well, actually I imagine it is April just about everywhere. But, in Colorado, we celebrate Arbor Day in April. Arbor Day, that one special day set aside to plant trees. We have turned it into a month long thing. It’s full of school programs and tree planting events – it really is a lot of fun.

Arbor Day was started in Nebraska by J.Sterling Morton. This is the home where the Morton family was raised. Let me answer the question right now – no, foresters do not make enough money to afford houses like this. But, if you are a forester or a tree person, this is the Mecca. This is where it started. The funny thing is every time I go there, every time I stand on the steps of the house, every time I walk down that brick driveway, it does kind of renew me. It’s not a religious thing rather it is a renewal thing.

When in Nebraska go see it, it is worth the trip.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Well it certainly is a beautiful place, no doubt about that! Be great to live in a home like that...until you got the electric bill I suppose!

I can see how Arbor Day would be special, for anyone who loves trees. I can be called a tree hugger, because I do like to hug trees and tell them how great I think they are! Does that make me just a wee bit weird??

6:23 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

No Rachel, hugging and talking to trees doesn't mean you are wierd.
Reading Ralph's blog, means you are wierd.
Yes Ralph, it's worth the visit.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I look at that beautiful house and wonder how many trees went into making it. *G* It's a lovely home, and I know what you mean about going someplace that renews you. I like yours. :0)

11:23 PM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

would planting sun flower seads in a cup during earth month due?? Sorry I am sooo behind I am working on catching up.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Planting appropriate trees in the right places is a very good thing!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Ralph - shouldn't you mention that the home is in Nebraska City?

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home