Friday, May 12, 2006

Eight is Enough

This picture was taken outside a hotel in Buena Vista. Buena Vista is a Spanish term that means ‘good view’ and the town is located in very scenic part of the state. It’s a small mountain community with a population of 2,196.

This week I spent a couple of days in Buena Vista locked in meeting rooms. I arrived a little before noon and a few of us met from noon until 8:45 PM. By that time, we were all brain dead and decided to go to dinner and then get back together the next morning at 6:00 to continue.

At ten o’clock, I walked into the hotel room but was still pretty worked up from the meeting. So, I decided to go for a walk.

Now Buena Vista is one of those towns that shuts down at 10:00 PM, which is not a problem if all you want to do is go for a walk. I decided to walk down the road about a mile to the stoplight, cross the street, and walk back to the hotel. As soon as I started a police officer drove by, not a big deal. A minute or two later he passed again going the other way. Okay, now he is just checking to see what I was up to, still not a big deal. By the time I had walked to the light he had passed me five times. The fifth time I waved – he didn’t.

I crossed the street and was heading back to the hotel thinking my troubles with the law were behind me. But they weren’t. He passed me again – this time slowing way down. The seventh time, I saw him coming so I walked to the curb and gave him a friendly wave. He waved back. Then this thought popped into my head, what if the next time he passes I just take off running. It made me chuckle at least until I remembered that police officers carry guns. He passed me once more by the time I got to the hotel.

Either I was the most suspicious person in Buena Vista or it was a really slow night. So, I repeat, this picture is a view from the hotel - not the police station. I was locked in a meeting room not a jail cell. Which begs the question – is there a difference?

11 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I called my hotel rooms in Europe 'jail' this Spring. That was just for blogging, I really do like hotels.

If Buena Vista rolls up the sidewalks at 10:00, you were probably the only creature out that night to look after. No wonder they watched you, I'm glad you decided to just keep on walking.
..

1:23 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Jim
You're right. After I wrote that story I got to thinking - they might not have been watching me, they might have being protecting me. Making sure I got back to the hotel okay. No worries about the town people they were all friendly but you never know about people just passing through.
Ralph

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
Maybe the officer had seen your picture on the internet. Or on a t-shirt.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Thinking back on all the time we've known each other, I've concluded that you are a suspicious looking character. My answer to the last is ...NO.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yes there is a big difference between jail and a meeting room. The meeting is over and you leave. Jail - you stay and can't leave.
And in jail no telling what might happen to you.

Good thing you didn't run from the policeman. Lovely picture from your room.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Yes there's a difference: the jail would probably be more exciting! *G* Glad you weren't arrested or shot. That would be bad. Beautiful view though! :0)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

Meeting: choices
Jail: none

1:12 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Marty, I hope you at least knew the guy sitting next to you... otherwise he probably felt more than a bit crowded?

Ralph, that must be a very small town if there weren't any other streets to check.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What beautiful scenery! My hubby and I lived in Aurora, CO for about a year and a half when we were newly married. We loved looking at the majestic Rockies.

Maybe you fit the description of some heinous criminal on the run, and the the cop was just really checking you out to see if you were the bad guy.
Good thing you didn't run!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I fear something may have happened to our Ralph.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Cliff, I was gonna say that. Maybe that cop said, "hey there's that blogger, if he puts me in his blog, he's done for."

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home