Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ralph and his Most Excellent Adventure

It was a wet and chilly Friday morning when I headed for Nebraska. The kind of day you should just stay inside and cuddle up with a good book or at least someone who has read one. But, I knew I had to make this trip (okay, I wanted to make this trip).

The van was running great and I was working on my second cup of coffee when near Brush, Colorado, I had to pull onto the shoulder of I-76. That’s where I realized I couldn’t complain about Char and her luggage anymore. I mean I was going on a four-day adventure and had five pairs of shoes! I had to pull off the road until I was able to quit laughing.

After I settled myself down things went well until Alda, Nebraska. At Alda, I was bored and turned on the radio. For twenty minutes, I listened to a man and a woman talk about a business that was expanding. Seems like Ted and Wally’s Ice Cream was going to open their second store. That made me laugh again but I was able to stay on the road this time.

A little after 5:00, I arrived at Dan and Julie’s. This picture of Allison and I should go down in history. This is most likely the only baby born in the last thirty years that I have gotten to see and hold before Char. She is one cute little girl. But then so is her sister and her mom. Then there’s Dan. Speaking of Dan. . . .

. . . we were at a party for one his friends. He looked at me and said, “It’s a little warm in here isn’t it?” I told him I didn’t think so. That’s when he took off his coat to reveal this t-shirt. I about spit a mouthful of adult beverage across the table. I only knew six people at this party but it was amazing how many came over and said, “Hey, you’re the guy on Dan’s shirt.” That was a good one Dan. The party also gave me a chance to visit with Tom and Stephanie. There will be more about my visit to Lincoln in another post.

The next morning I went to Nebraska City for a work related activity. This was the view from my window. I have always liked this view especially the hazelnut plantation in the foreground. As much as I like this place and this view, I was anxious to get to Tekamah. Early the next morning, I realized I had never made the trip from Nebraska City to Tekamah before. But really how hard could it be? Just follow the highway signs. Take I-75 up to Omaha get on I-80 east and get off at the Blair exit. Things were going just as planned at least until I passed a sign that read, “Welcome to Iowa”.

I eventually found my way back to Nebraska and then even got to Tekamah without further incident. Then driving down the road to the Morrow’s farm, right at the intersection, I met Cliff and Marilyn on their way to church. Thirty seconds either way and we would have missed each other. That had to be fate. Speaking of fate, have you ever noticed how some people just have a gift? Cliff and Marilyn’s daughter Julie does. She played the piano in church for the Tekamah-Herman swing choir. She has the uncanny ability to make it seem so easy and to make other people really look good with her piano talent. She has always impressed me.

Following church, we went to the City Cafe for lunch with Fran and Robbie. The lunch was good but not nearly as good as the rhubarb tort we had back at Fran and Robbie’s house.

After a good visit, we went to Cliff and Marilyn’s. Two things need to be pointed out in this picture. The first is the window on the far left. This is where the kitchen table sets. A lot of good times and a lot of good meals have happened at that kitchen table. Sunday night Cliff showed me another great way to make roast and potatoes. The following morning we had a great breakfast. Fortunately, there were no hash browns. The other thing is the porch. “A View from the Porch” shows up on Cliff’s blog from time to time. All great photos to let us know what is going on.

Monday morning after a good visit with Cliff and Marilyn it was time to head home. 594.8 miles later, I walked in and kissed Char. That’s the distant between Cliff’s porch and mine. Marilyn and Char have concluded that is a ‘reasonably safe distance’ to separate Cliff and I.




Sorry for the length of this blog but it’s hard to have a short excellent adventure.

11 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I had fun Ralph, thanks for the visit.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Excellent.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ah, great trip Ralph. I love the pictures of course. Glad you had a good visit. How neat of Dan to have that picture of you put on his shirt!

That is a cute little girl you are holding.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Not nearly long enough for me! A good write-up on a very nice visit.
I'm betting and hoping we hear more about this soon.
If you went through Iowa, via Hwy 2, and up I-29 to Blair that was much faster than trying U.S. 75 through South Omaha. You would be in Tekamah by the time you could reach I-80 East.
..

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the shirt. Sounds like you had fun. I'm heading to Neb. in the morning.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you had ever had Ted and Wally's ice cream you wouldn't have been laughing - you would have been listening to find out where the new location was going to be.
Sounds like you had a great trip - am glad you made it home safely.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Loved Dan's shirt; too funny. *G* I so enjoy your friendship with Cliff and his family, even if Char and Marilyn are grateful for the buffering distance. :0)

12:25 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

It wasn't that long...actually I enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for sharing. Neat trip.

12:59 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

that baby she is way too cute!!! the t-shirt is too funny. sounds like you had a great visit. (this is val (justhelpme)) i finally started a new blog. hope you stop by.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Thank you, sir. I enjoyed your trip.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would share a torte with you anytime!!---R

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home