Monday, May 08, 2006

Money Monday

Some days just develop their own theme. Today it is Money Monday. On the way to Fort Collins, my cell phone rang. It was a person I had worked with for years wondering if I had an extra $35,000 laying around. First of all, I would really like to know what an extra $35,000 looks like. Secondly, I think by the laughter they figured out I didn’t.

As soon as I got to the office, I was ushered into a budget meeting. As it turns out it was a fairly heated meeting. We seem to have a lot of those this time of year.

This is “daughter of Ralph” she will be home from college soon. While we are looking forward to having her home, she needs to work on her timing. When setting in the meeting my cell rang. I glanced at it and noticed it was ‘daughter of Ralph”. Now, when certain people call they become the highest priority – that includes family members and quite a few friends. So, I left the meeting to answer it. It was ‘daughter of Ralph” (DOR) our conversation went like this:
ME: This is Ralph.
DOR: Ralph, this is DOR. You will cover my travel expenses right?
ME: What expenses?
DOR: I have to mail some boxes home and they are really heavy. You paid for it last year.
ME: Don't overnight them.
DOR: Okay but you will pay right?
ME: Sure why not, will find the money somewhere (That's a typical answer this time of year.)

Even when you try to get away from some of those money issues, you never quite can.

13 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

You definitely have your priorities straight: family and friends over business meetings! *G*

Great picture of DOR and friend. ;0)

11:54 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Aww, Ralph, how could you not pay the expenses for such a low maintainence, cute girl.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Daddy's girl! She's worth it ya know.

What kind of dog is that she's holding?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
My wife and my daughter could tell you what type of dog it is. All I could really tell you is - a black one.
Ralph

2:30 PM  
Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

Yep. You gotta come through for the kids.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Do they ever call just to say, "Hi"?!
hee hee

6:24 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Glad that you do get out of those pesky meetings to talk to DOR. Sorry this conversation was about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But in the end, isn't she worth it?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I know you will be glad to get her home for the summer.
Just by looking at and her toys and how pretty she keeps herself, I would guess a little on the high maintenance side?
Will she have a job while she is home? What is her major?
I suppose if I really went back in your old blogs I wouldn't have to ask these questions.
I know you are glad she is home. Really glad. We miss the kids a lot when they are gone off.
..

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want things to wear when I am at home, if he won't help me mail it home then I would need to buy new cloths at home. I'm all the way out in Chicago. I am very grateful for the help.
I am a math major and over the summer I will be taking a class, coaching basketball, and working a job.
Sometimes I call to just say hi, but then I think "hey, while i'm on the phone with him I may as well ask for some money"

7:58 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Enjoyed the post, Ralph. I laughed at the beginning and empathised w/ the ending. "DOG" is coming home soon. ALthough we have two "DOG(s)", our younger one has always wanted a real dog. I can hear the laughter in my household. See what you started? :D

8:08 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

If it means your baby is coming home, you BET you'll pay for those boxes to be shipped.
I'm noticing that as my kids get older, they get much more expensive. Gone are the days when we could get away with cheap toys and stuff.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
I didn't know your daughter was in Chicago. I could've brought the boxes with me to Nebraska. My shipping rates are low.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

I live in Chicago. She could just store her stuff here with all my kids' stuff, and have a second set of everything there....
hee hee

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home