Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Miracle at O'Hara

Last night I sat down and typed out my ordeal with the lost cell phone at O’Hara International Airport. By the time I was done, I had six full pages. Yes, it’s probably just the right length for a made for TV movie, but it’s a little long for a post. So, I decided to give some of the ‘top’ highlights in bullet format. I will still do a short story about my three wonderful trips through security later.

-- Stopped at the kiosk to print out my ticket, the printer failed. Went to another kiosk as instructed and was informed that the ticket had already been issued. Pushed the button for assistance and to my amazement I only had to explain what happened twice.

-- Had all my worldly possessions in a plastic tub at security when I noticed my cell phone was missing. Without going through security, I gather my possessions and went looking for my cell phone.

-- Had an opportunity to talk with two of Chicago’s finest. We had a nice discussion on why I was going outside the airport after having my ticket issued.

-- Had an informative discussion with a Transportation Safety Authority (TSA) agent on how many phones get lost at O’Hara and how I would never find mine. He did say 2,000 – 3,000 cell phones get lost each month at that airport.

-- Went through security the second time this one involved the “wand’.

-- Bought a phone card and called Tiffany. That's when I found out my cell phone was alive and well.

-- Met Kat! The lady with United Airlines who found my cell phone.

-- Went through security for the third time in an hour. In the process, I probably came closer to going to jail than I realized after an outburst when asked if I could prove I lost my cell phone.

-- Had a fight start just behind me in the security line between a 30-year-old man and 50-year-old man. Fortunately, I didn’t see how it started. However, during my third security screening I was questioned about it. It could have been a great diversion for a shady character like me trying to get through security so I could board an airplane I really didn’t want to get on in the first place.

-- Bought a cup of coffee, sipped it slowly at the terminal, patiently waiting to board the plane.

-- With my feet back on the ground and my cell phone tucked deeply in my pocket, I meet Cliff in Omaha. I told Cliff my story. I’ve spent a lot of time with Cliff, but I had never seen him chuckle quite that much.

-- For the next several days, I “grabbed’ myself a lot – making sure my cell phone was where it belonged.

So what will happen to the six-page version? It should air later this Fall on a major TV network.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Another hint about cell phones in airports: always be able to prove you've lost yours if you do lose it.
I think that like baggage, they aren't supposed to be out of your site. Someone might hot wire it to cause trouble?
Not really. Just check it in the checked luggage and let the baggage guys steal it.
..

9:37 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Well you know, in spy movies cell phones are sometimes used as remote detonation devices. I'm surprised you're not in lock-up right now! ;0)

Seriously though, glad the ordeal finally came to an end. You handled it beautifully, all things considered. *G*

1:56 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sounds like a real royal pain in the a** Ralph! Glad you managed it with no fighting yourself! Then aren't you glad you had something for Cliff to chuckle about??? I'm sure he found it entertaining!!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph handled it well?? Aravis?? You should hear the entire, unedited, verbal rendition. I'm surprised Marilyn and I aren't getting ready to make the 8 hour trip to visit DOR and Ralph and WOR. (warden of Ralph)

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Cliff that it sounded a little different on the page than the actual version.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ralph it sounds like it really ruffled your feathers more than you have described!! Were you like hopping mad, mad as a hornet, ready to blow a vessel, or having a hissy fit??? Or all of the above!! HAHAHAHA

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home