Friday, August 04, 2006

Rocks, Rocks, and More Rocks

During our vacation, we spent a lot of time looking at rocks. We were in Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Red Canyon, Kodachrome Basin, Anasazi State Park, and Capital Reef.

Over the course of the week, I took four hundred pictures. Char took about the same. Two things should be pointed out. First, the pictures in no way do the parks or scenery justice. You really have to see it for yourself. Secondly, I am not going to bore you by posting 400 pictures. But, here are a few.

Our first official ‘rock stop’ was Zion National Park. This is located near the town of Springdale, Utah. As we entered the park Char read a quote from Henry Gannett with the U.S. Geological Survey. It was, “If you are old, go to Zion by all means, but if you are young, stay away until you grow older. . . it is not well to dull one’s capacity for enjoyment by seeing the finest first”. My ‘official’ reaction was, “What are we doing here! We’re not old.” Unofficially, Henry was right. I watched the kids we passed on our hike up Canyon Overview Trail and then along the Riverwalk Trail. We were in awe by the beauty of this park, the kids we passed had that ‘lets go back to the hotel where I can at least watch cable television’ look.


Our second ‘rock stop’ was Bryce Canyon. Last night I dug out an old National Geographic magazine that had photos of Bryce Canyon. Their photos were better than mine but still do not do justice to this spectacular canyon. This is a place you have to see to appreciate.

Red Canyon was ‘rock stop’ number three. Located outside of Escalante, Utah, this canyon is full of . . . rocks. The rocks have a dark red color making spectacular views as you drive along Scenic Highway 12. This is the only highway I have driven in a long, long time where people don’t speed. Yeah, the scenery is that good.

‘Rock stop’ number four had us at Kodachrome Basin State Park. This area was featured in a 1949 issue of National Geographic magazine. The area was originally named Kodachrome Flats, after the trade name of Kodak’s color film. This is Chimney rock. To put it in perspective, Char is standing at the base of the rock.


Capital Reef made 'rock stop' number five. The early pioneers named this area Capital Reef because the huge doomed rock formations reminded them of the nation’s capital. It is here you can see the petroglyphs. A thousand years ago, the Fremont Indians chipped images into the rocks.
Well, I still have about 394 pictures remaining but I’ve probably bored you enough.

13 Comments:

Blogger Raggedy said...

Wow!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation and pictures with us...

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) huge huggles
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

8:40 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Don't tell everyone you're getting the slide project and screen out...they'll all leave.
Great photo's Ralph.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow! Not boring at all Ralph. Quite the opposite in fact! Love the pictures. I have never been out West so it's very interesting for me. Some pretty unique rocks with unique shapes and colors.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Not bored at all! Now I hope to see these things for myself one day. Thanks for sharing these photos. :0)

11:30 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks, Ralph, for sharing those nice pictures. I haven't been to any of those places. Mrs. Jim has.
That Kodachrome Basin State Park rock that Char is standing by might be as tall as our Sam Houston statue on Interstate 45 coming into Houston, just north of here.
..

11:40 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey, what did Cliff mean in your last post comments about a motor home, retirement plans, and a rest home???? Do tell us!!! (You know my curiosity and all.....)

12:30 PM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Wow these are some gorgeous pictures...I did not know it was so beautiful there in Utah. I have never been there, so thanks for a glimpse :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Boring? NOT!

6:53 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

those were beautiful!!!

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph & Char,
Just a couple of rock stars.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I left a wish for you at my place.
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

1:28 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

I blew up that one of Bryce Canyon enough to fill my 19" screen and all I can say is "WOW!" I would love to be able to see all those places in person.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

When I was in college a little more than a few years ago I took a course called "Geology of Our National Parks." Zion, and Bryce Canyon were two of the parks highlighted. I have always wanted to visit them, but I have never had that opportunity. I have also not yet seen the Grand Canyon. I did get to see Yosemite, so I do understand how pictures do not capture the scenery anywhere near what you experience being there. However, I would be most happy to see any more that you have taken!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home