Thursday, July 06, 2006

Cougar

I suppose golf is like any sport, everybody has a brand of equipment they think is the best. These are cougar golf balls. Right now, they are my golf ball of choice. Mainly, because they are cheap. I can get eighteen for eight dollars.

Tuesday, we were matched up with a guy who has spent a lot of money on equipment. He had the expensive golf clubs, the monogrammed shirt, and the two hundred dollar golf shoes (so he claimed).

At the seventh hole I teed off and then turned to exclaim, “One of these days I am going to learn how to use this club.” The guy we were playing with promptly announced my short shot was due to my golf ball. He gave me one of his and told me to try it. Now, don’t get me wrong he was a nice guy; I also thought he was trying to help me. I hit the ball. It did feel better so I asked him what brand it was and how much they cost. They were Callaway golf balls. Twelve balls for forty dollars!

I walked up to my Cougar only to discover the Callaway ball was just to the left and about eight inches further up the fairway. If I played the entire back nine holes with Callaway’s it might take one stroke off my game.

After nine holes of golf, he beat me by eight strokes. That’s when I decided to stay with my Cougar’s. If I put one of them in the water (which I am known to do) I’m out forty-four cents. I dump one of those Callaway’s in the drink it will cost me $3.33.

But, when I get better I am going to upgrade to Top Flite XL-3000, sixty-one cents a ball.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I didn't think there was any difference in golf balls, but I know diddlysquat about golf.

Sounds like you are enjoying your game Ralph. Now we all know what to get you for Christmas!!

Everyone...it's Top Flite XL-3000.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I supposed we could start something about Ralph having cougar balls. Well, at least you have balls, I'll say that.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

:) I think this is a lot like shampoo. Everyone says there is the best, will clarify, moisturize, add volume, decrease curl, increase curl . . .whatever. But a study says it's actually the hardness of the water that affects anything, not the formulation of shampoo.

Like shampoo, I think golf balls are almost all the same, just depends of the swing.

And after a moment to reflect, I'm realizing that this may not have been the best analogy given the state of your hair. . . :)

Regardless, if you need that fancy expensive ball, perhaps you weren't that good in the first place!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel - I'm just guessing here but since it is early July I'd say you one of those people who does their Christmas shopping early.
Jerry - not as many as use too! Started with 36 now I'm down to 23. And by the way, let's not start something.
Marty - I think often times you do. But until I get better I am not going to invest the money on golf balls to find out.
Christa - you're right that wasn't the best analogy.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hmmm, I wonder if they are selling Top Flite XL-3000 X-outs anyplace.
I like your Cougar balls. If the U of Houston bookstore sells them with a UH logo, they are likely 12 or 18 for $35.
Good school, though (my alma mater X 2).
Oh yes, never in the world will I have a 23. Nice going!
..

8:43 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Cougar balls sound very courageous to me. Callaway balls sound kind of uppity. Top Flite balls sound flighty. Cougar balls would be my choice on name alone. I am not a golfer but I did like hearing about the balls.
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one
*

10:08 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Jim - 23 was the number of golf balls I now have in my bag. My score on the back nine was a 49. I need practice. Lots and lots of practice.
Raggedy - noww you have me thinking about not upgrading to Top Flite XL-3000. I'd only do it when I play better. So I have 3 - 5 years to think about it.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

3-5 years??? Oh come on Ralph. You'll be ready to beat Tiger Woods before then. See what confidence I have in you!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

There really is a difference between brands... but you are smart to wait until you lose fewer... it IS JUST a game after all...you're JUST there to have some fun...RIGHT? ;o)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel - I probably upgrade to top flite before then. Beating Tiger?????????????????
Rhodent - it is just a game. A challenging, frustrating game. But one good shot and you forget all the bad ones.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home