Thursday, June 22, 2006

I Got Air

Golf is a pretty humbling game. Have you ever been beaten by an eight year old?

Yesterday, Geno (my eight-year-old friend), Bobby (his dad), and I went to play a little par 3 course close to the house. I was the official score keeper and here is how the first few holes played out:

First hole: Bobby 5, Geno 12, Ralph 6
Second hole: Bobby 4, Geno 11, Ralph 4
Third hole: Bobby 4, Geno 15, Ralph 6
Fourth hole: Bobby 4, Geno 14, Ralph 5

Geno enjoys golf but tonight he was hitting a lot of ground balls. At the fifth hole, he took out his driver. Bobby and I were getting ready to play when Geno yelled out, “I got air!” I looked up to see his golf ball land just short of the green. That was a heck of a shot for an eight year old. It would have been a heck of a shot for me.

Soon we were all on the green and that’s when ‘Geno rules’ apply. When on the green we wait for Geno to make the hole. On a few holes, he had quite a few putts. I was lining up my putt when Geno said, “Ralph, I got five.” The pressure was off - I already had six. I congratulated him, it was the best he had ever done.

I made my putt and then had my first ethical dilemma in the game of golf. Do I lie about my score or just admit I was beaten by an eight year old?

Later that night when we pulled into their driveway, I handed the score card to Geno and told him he might want to keep it. It had his best hole ever on it and the first time he ever beaten me on a hole. He got out of the van and ran into the house. I’m sure that score card is on the refrigerator.

Yep, golf is a humbling game.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Well good for Geno. That's the time to start.
btw, while playing in a mens league or with a group of men on a weekend, "I got air" may mean something different. Upwind is the key to survival in that case.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Good for Geno!
“I got air!” sounded familiar. The skiers use that for the up and over jumping. I had to use Google to find that out.

..

8:25 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Congratulations to Geno! But kudos to you for admitting that he beat you on that hole. *G*

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing at Cliff's observation. ^5, Geno!! How can you lose if you're the scorekeeper, Ralph ???? ;-)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Glad you enjoyed getting beat Ralph! That shows true sportmanship.

(Funny Cliff) LOL

8:38 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Geno did good. He got air - how cute!

Congrats to Char on her Masters in Counseling.
I hope she charges you a hefty fee.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped by , again, via Cliff. Congratulations Char!!!!! Well done.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Congratulations, Char!
You can have Ralph show us your degree certificate. I know he is proud of you.
Cliff told us. I would watch his sprinklers if I lived closer so he could come.
Mrs. Jim is an MSW social worker who worked her last fifteen years as a special ed high school counselor.
..

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home