Thursday, May 25, 2006

Frustration

This week I have learned that frustration comes in many sizes and shapes. It’s really nothing new; I am just a slower learner.

Tuesday was a 15-hour day. I spent six and half-hours in a meeting talking about how to get people to work together. The new buzzword is collaboration. At the end of the meeting we were at farther ends of the spectrum than when we started. I then spent several hours driving to get to a meeting to discuss a conference to be held this fall. The meeting lasted four hours and I am not sure we decided much.

Wednesday I met with four of our financial people. Everything is now done on computers where one spreadsheet automatically feeds into another. We spent several hours plugging in numbers. When they were printed out, it only took a matter of minutes before a computer error was found.

Wednesday night I went golfing with a neighbor. We played the back nine of a big person golf course. This was my second time on a real golf course. I discovered several things. I was worried about not wanting to tear up the grass; I was finally told it happens get over it. I was worried about hitting my club cart, I was told to move it. Then the sand traps and the water sent a shiver up my spine because I might lose a ball. I was told I would lose lots of golf balls so move on.

So what’s the point of the last few days? I discovered I need golf lessons in the worst way.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ralph said...

Marty
So far I have done extremely well avoiding hitting the ball to far.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

There will come a time when you won't have to worry about losing a ball. You won't be able to it far enough to lose it. But by then you won't remember where you hit it.
Lessons from your friendly PGA Professional, is indeed good advice.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sorry about all your frustrations Ralph. Your golf game will improve the more you practice. At least it will if that saying "practice makes perfect" is true!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

"Big person's golf course."
That's funny. I'll stick with peewee golf!!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Those golf tips seem somehow deeply profound, as though you could take those lessons and apply them to other areas of life: You'll make messes, and that's ok. If you encounter an obstacle, move it. You'll make mistakes; get over it. Yes, you could definitely apply them elsewhere.

Or you could just take golf lessons. *G*

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just love those "busswords" that need to be worked into every other sentence? Have fun with your lessons.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Yeah, I've had a few of those 'get over it' and 'move on' kind of moments myself lately. Nice to be reading you again!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

You can have a really good feeling about golf the times you find more balls than you lose. It happens!
..

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay you had a frustrating week last week time to post something for this week!C.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home