Friday, May 19, 2006

Small Hands, Big Problems

Throughout the week, I reflected on Cliff’s post titled ‘Old Dogs’ many times. It’s been a long week. At times, I had to deal with ‘old dogs’ at other times I was the ‘old dog’. But, one night this week I was able to put it all into perspective. Maybe, just maybe, our problems are somehow related to our age.

These hands belong to my friend. He came over to help me plant flowers. He got irritated twice. The first time he stopped planting, glared at me, and said, “Ralph, I am not seven. I’m eight.” Believe me I’ll never make the mistake of calling him seven again.

The second time he got irritated he threw the planting shovel down, leaned back and said, “Damn it! The hole is too deep.” Not wanting to experience his wrath again, I contained my laughter. I told him to throw some dirt back in the bottom and it would be fine. He looked at me and smiled and said, “Oh yeah, that’ll work.”

So, I am starting to believe many of our problems are age related. I’m going outside to play with my EIGHT-year-old friend.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Your friend will soon learn that patience is required when working with the old and sinile.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world would be a better place if everyone spent some time with an 8 year old friend. Funny stuff, Ralph.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Could I borrow his help for a little bit?
Help with planting some flowers in our front beds. And
Help getting a better perspective on some of life's hard spots.
An encouraging post, Ralph!
Thanks.
..

10:05 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ralph, Cliff called you old and senile. (Reckon he ain't no spring chicken now is he?) Teehee!

You friend is a good friend to help you set out flowers. Very nice indeed.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Make that senile. Or...maybe it is sin ile.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I can picture it. *G* Yes, spend more time with your EIGHT-year-old friend; it sounds like a great way to pass the time!

12:00 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

hahaha I think soem times the EIGHT year olds are more fun!!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

It's okay if people think I'm a year younger than I really am. I won't push to let it be known that they are a year off.
He sounds like a cute little fella.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

If only all our problems could be solved as easily...
What a fine solution to his problem.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home