Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Gone by the Wayside

So. . . Char and I were driving down the street on Sunday and I just blurted out,” You know what you rarely see anymore?”

Before she could answer, I told her, “Pay phones for one. You rarely see a pay phone anymore. The other is people driving with their arm out window. Hardly anybody drives with their arm hanging out the window like we all use to.”

Although she never came right out and said she agreed with me I read it in her response, “So, really, how does your mind work?”

This is a pay phone. They use to be on just about every street corner. Remarkably little inventions – you put money in and you could make a phone call. I remember back when they were a dime. The last one I saw was a quarter.

They are no longer with us because today almost everyone has a cell phone. Speaking of cell phones, have you seen the ones that hook directly to your ear? They have an attachment that hooks to your belt or can be carried in your pocket but the speaker and receiver are always on your ear. They are really small! I went into the grocery store not to long ago and this lady had one. It took me awhile to notice it but I am glad I did. For a minute I thought she was saying, “Oh, show up you’ll have a good time” to a frozen chicken!


The other thing you don’t see very much anymore is people driving with their window down and their arm hanging out. I’d like to think it is due to the increase in traffic and people are just driving with both hands on the wheel. Char says it because most people have air conditioning. Most likely the truth is people have the air conditioning going, one hand on the wheel, and the other hand holding a cell phone to their ear.

I’m not sure how my mind works either.

11 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

That's sure true about pay phones. Sometimes you still see the stand where they USED to be, but no phone.
I actually did see one in Cedar Rapids, Iowa a couple weeks ago. But I only wanted to check the phone book, and then use my cellie. The phone book was outdated...

9:16 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Three of the remaining pay phones in Omaha Ne were stolen last weekend.
I can hear Char saying that to you. No, I've heard Char say that to you.
Pretty good question really.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

The sad thing is, not everyone has a cell phone. My husband is a truck driver and he cannot conduct any kind of personal phone business during the day because there aren't any phones available. I have a cell phone but it stays with me. He likes to talk a lot and would put me in the poorhouse with a cell phone.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

The place to find a lot of pay phones is in the older movies. Kids can learn what they are if they will watch.

Soon to be in cell phones, an implant, preferably at birth.

Get a convertible. I put my arm on the windshield post, generally towards the top. I do leave the A/C running with all the ducts I can claim blowing on me.
..

3:45 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

No A/C in my old Lumina, but I crank up the fan anyway. If I open the windows, people will know I'm too cheap to fix the A/C (but I guess they already can tell I'm cheap by the fact I'm driving a '93 Lumina...) Oh well.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

p.s. thanks for the link

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on out to the country, Ralph. We still drive with our arms out the windows, if you don't mind the gravel dust.

I think your mind works fine. Then again, I mostly hang around octogenarians and crazy people all day.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yep, the pay phones are about gone but we still have a couple in town that I know of.

I see people sometimes driving with their arms laying on the window and it does look strange. Very rare to see it anymore. I drive with the passenger window down when the dog is with me so he can put his face in the wind. I drive slower too for his comfort! Of course the AC is going strong too. In the winter I do the same for him with the heater going.

Yes, spoiled dog!!

Nothing wrong with your thinking Ralph! Let a bear get after you and you won't have to think twice!!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I'm with Jerry. I often see people with sunburned left arms from too much time wind-surfing out the driver's side window. *G* And there are lots of pay phones. But then, cell service is very spotty here and a lot of people don't see the point in having a cell phone because of it.

As for how your mind works, I have no clue. But I like it! :0)

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My theory-- drivers are using one hand to drive and the other to talk on their cell phone. No arms left for hanging out the window! They need one of those hands-free dealies.

A friend was in my truck yesterday and I had the windows cranked down (yes, cranked--they are not electric). She assumed that I had no A/C--why else would you have the windows down? Since I was hauling something for her, I decided that I got to choose how the air flowed.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Ralph, you got me to laugh out loud on this one. . .and you inspired a story. Look for it on my blog in a day or two. :)

I have sinned. I have one of those crazy ear things in pink. It's lovely but I know people tend to think I'm on the crazy side becauses I do all my chatting when I'm grocery shopping too!

:)

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home