Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Taken Away

“What time will you be home?” These words started a sequence of events. When I told her, she asked if I could make it a little earlier. I replied I could but why. That’s when my wife informed we really hadn’t seen each other for the past few weeks so we were going on a date. Even after all these years and some of the stuff we have been through, she continues to amaze me.

I got home at the appointed hour and promptly asked where we were going. She said it was surprise. Now, you need to understand I don’t handle these types of situations very well. First, I have no idea where we are going. Secondly, I don’t know why we are ‘really’ going. This is not a good combination for old Ralph.

We left the house and she would only tell me where to turn. As we started up a canyon west of the town, I was getting nervous and grumpier. “Are we going to be out this canyon by dark?” I snapped. She assured me we would.

A few more miles down the road (painful miles for old Ralph – did I happen to mention I had no idea where we were going or why) we were in a mountain community. After a few wrong turns and losing my temper once (yes, it happens) we were at the Black Forest Restaurant. That is where I finally started to relaxed. We dined on some great German rye bread, sauerbraten, potato pancakes with applesauce, and Wiener schnitzel. We finished the meal with the best apple strudel either of us ever had.

So, after my wife took me away, I was taken away by the restaurant, taken away by her thoughtfulness and the efforts she went to in planning such a great evening.

6 Comments:

Blogger Raggedy said...

What a wonderful evening! That is just awesome. I am glad you both enjoyed it. I suprised my hubby once a long time ago and it went well too! I sent him on an airplane ride with our son for Father's day. They got to see all around where we live from up above. They loved it!
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

9:49 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I know you enjoyed that meal immensely. After you got there and climbed all those stairs.
One year Mrs. Jim's surprise BDay present was a Warbird ride in a T-6 trainer, a two-person WWII plane (yellow). Her job was to raise and lower the landing wheels. They did the maneuvers and all.
Surprises are nice, sometimes worriesome until fully delivered.
..

3:16 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph,
Why don't you just straighten up and start to trust that womans judgement. How thoughtful she is. You are a lucky man.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You lost your temper??? Shame, shame, shame Ralph.

Char sounds like such a nice lady. You are blessed indeed. Glad you ended up having a great time!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
Don't fall for that trick too many times. One of these days she may be driving you to the loony bin. She does have those blog photos of you in the hair rollers and the attack of the bear cut-out, remember?

9:14 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

raggedy - surprises often times do turn out good. Glad your husband and son appreciated it.
Jim - you are so right!
Cliff - I should but. . .
Rachel - I know I shouldn't have but losing my temper has been known to happen. It also happened once a long, long, long, time ago - wait that was yesterday, never mind. Yes, my wife is a keeper.
Jerry - yeah, that is the down side to blogging.
Marty - Thanks. We are getting calls aabout sending people to those fires. California fires are ugly. I've been on quite a few.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home