Sunday, September 24, 2006

Thirty-six with Icing

Friday was my birthday. It turned out better than I thought – given the weather forecast.

On the eve of my birthday, Char and I went out and had a nice dinner. It was just the two of us and that started the birthday celebration.

For weeks my neighbor, Nathan and I had planned on taking the day off and playing golf. Nate had made some reservations at a rather exclusive golf course. When he told me what the green fees were I kind of choked but then he added, “Oh, don’t worry you get on free because it’s your birthday.” I still worried a little because Nate and my neighbor didn’t. Plus, it had to be reserved with a credit card and they had a twenty-four cancellation policy.

The problem was the weather. They forecasted heavy rain and/or snow. So, I had Nate cancel the reservation and we decided to go to breakfast instead.

At the restaurant, we ordered breakfast and started talking about how the weather forecast was wrong (again). It was overcast but beside that not to bad. Maybe we could squeeze in nine-holes. I called my neighbor who had gone to go work. Yes, he was up for it and could be home soon. Nate called and made reservations at Willis Case golf course. It is near the house, reasonably priced and one I had never played. Before long, the three of us were out playing golf.

At Willis Case nine turned into eighteen holes because the weather held. Soon there was talk about going to another course and playing nine more holes. Somewhere along the way, the term ‘Birthday Golf’ was created. Birthday Golf - we would play until it rained. Over at Hylands Golf Course we played another eighteen holes, instead of nine. On the 11th hole, DOR (Tiffany – Daughter of Ralph) called and sang me Happy Birthday.

I’ll admit it by the 16th hole on the second round I was getting a little tired. It was also getting a little dark and I was starting to lose some golf balls. But, we finished the second eighteen. As we headed back home, it started to rain. Perfect timing.

We went to my neighbors where dinner was waiting. To my surprise, my good friend Geno (who is eight) had made me a GREAT birthday brownie. He did most the work himself and went to a lot extra trouble with the decorations. It was the perfect birthday brownie. The decorations showed golf, a tree, and a birthday crown. To top it all off, it really tasted good! We ate the whole thing. Thanks Geno!

So, it was the perfect birthday. A nice pre-birthday dinner with Char, breakfast with Nate, hearing from Tiffany, thirty-six holes of golf, a good birthday dinner, and a GREAT birthday cake.

14 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Sooo.....how old were you Ralph?? Let's see, since you were born in 1952 that makes you older than I am. You are older than I am. You are older than I am. You are older than I am.

All joking aside..ahem...I'm so glad you had a great birthday Ralph! The rain holding off and the great breakfast and that neat cake!! Happy Belated Birthday Ralph!!!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Now Ralph, you just weren't fair with us! You were supposed to tell us so we all could wish you a happy birthday.

Soooooo, this is what you get:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (LATE)!

So there!
OH YES, MANY MORE!
OH YES, MANY MORE!
OH YES, MANY MORE!
OH YES, MANY MORE!
OH YES, MANY MORE!

You didn't mention, so I guess you didn't get any of that snow they got in Colorado Springs. Good thing for your golf.

I'm glad you had a nice birthday, you are older than I figured, I had you pegged for 51. [Well, I couldn't say in the forties, now could I?]

I might just come up my birthday at the end of October if you could promise good golfing weather. That free play sounds good. While we are there we could visit my first cousin in Longmont.
..

5:23 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow Ralph, Jim really wished you lots of Happy Birthdays!! And you are older than he had you pegged.

Feeling better now are you?? :)

7:49 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

You are a Blessed man my friend. That sounded like a great time. Happy Birthday Buddy!!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a perfect birthday. Now we all know how old you are, we won't have to cut you in two and count the rings!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Happy belated birthday, Ralph!!! It sounds like you had a great time, which is as it should be on Your Day. Best wishes for the coming year! :0)

12:22 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Another 18 holes and you'd have matched your age! Now THAT's Birthday Golf.
Happy Birthday, and many more.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

So you're 54 eh! Let me take this opportunity to tell you how much that is in dog years..... About 4 Dogs!!

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All things considered, that was one great birthday. And a belated Happy Birthday to ya!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Happy belated birthday! 54? You're just a youngster!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Sept. 22 is my dad's birthday too!!

It sounds like your b-day was a really good day.

Family (wife and DOR), friends (Nate and little guy Geno), fun (golf), and food (including that killer brownie cake!), what more could you ask for?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Whurlie said...

Wow, Ralph, I think you've been working to close to the Rocky Flats area for too long! Your cake is glowing, hon! Best wishes for another 54!

C&E

5:40 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

sorry I haven't been around, things here have been a little crazy! I missed your birthday, but hope it was a great one! Tell Geno that he can make a birthday brownie anytime for me! It looks delicious and I would have been proud to have it!

5:52 AM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

happy belated birthday! what a cute brownie, sounds like geno just adores you!!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home