Thursday, September 07, 2006

Back By Popular Demand. . . Peaches

This is a great time to be in Colorado. The Rocky Ford melons are in season and so are Colorado peaches. For the past few years both have really been good. But this year the peaches are exceptional.

I bought a case and we are slowly working our way through them. So far, we have had: peaches right out of the box, cereal and peaches, I made peach breakfast bread, peaches and ice cream, and peaches on grilled pork. Last night I thought about just grilling peaches. Take a peach split it open and remove the pit, put it on aluminum foil skin side down, add a pad of butter, a little cinnamon and sugar, and wait patiently until it is warmed through. Kind of like a peach pie without the crust. I may have to try it.

I am considering going to the western slope to get another case but I’m not sure I wanted to get into all that canning activity this year. I canned a bunch last year but it took the whole day.

16 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

Go ahead and buy another case of peaches... as long as it doesn't involve going through O'Hare airport you'll be fine.
p.s. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stopover here in Chicago.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Those peaches look tasty, but I'm feeling a little peached-out just reading your list! *G*

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
Those look delicious. The Japanese Beetles got all of ours before they matured.

My friend Scott had a recipe for peaches/tomatoes on his blog this week: http://scotthutcheson.typepad.com/scott_hutcheson/2006/09/summers_end.html

12:58 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm thinking peach burrito.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Dan said Peach Burritos.....YUCK, that sounds awful. (I don't think I'd try that one Ralph!)

History has a way of repeating itself. So you might want to can again. Just one day and weren't they yummy?? Sure are pretty Ralph.

The grill recipe sounds good!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

We are down to two pints of the ones you canned last year and gave us...so go ahead and buy a couple of bushels and get going.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time someone asks, "How are doing.", answer, "Peachy". Watch for the confused look.

I'll take the same order Cliff placed. Have a great weekend.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Go ahead and get more. Buy an extra case and ship it to us.
We are having to eat Georgia peaches here. They are good, a lot better than the Mexican ones we usually have, but not nearly so large and tasty as Colorado peaches.
..

10:16 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

They look sooooooooooooo good!
Yummmy
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Cool Raggedy one

2:00 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I am glad you and your phone are together again..What a story!
Thanks!

2:06 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

wow looks wonderful. if you can send me some!!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum. They look so succulent.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

aw geez, now you made me hungry for a peach. Pardon me while I go get one...

3:10 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Just stopped in to grab a peach.
Thanks..
Hug

11:39 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

I agree - the peaches this year have been the best I've had in quite a while.

But I did do canning - after being overzealous and buying two big boxes of peaches. Days and days to get them all in jars before they spoiled. :)

But I believe that it will be well worth it come winter when I can make 'fresh' peach pie. Too fun!

6:24 PM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Those peaches look yummy. I just bought a case of Clementine's, it is a yearly tradition as well.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home