Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Weekend Getaway

This past weekend we made out annual Fall trek to Palisade. This should not be confused with our annual Palisade Spring outing. This has always been a fun time, and this year was no exception. The weather was great, we were with fun people, tasted some good wine, and had some excellent food.

Charlene, two of her high school friends, their husbands, and I made the journey. We visited nine vineyards. What I noticed the most was the difference the elevation plays in the vineyards. The ones on top of the hill were finished for the year. The grapes had been harvested and the leaves were turning and falling off.

While down in the valley the leaves were turning but nothing like those on top of the hill. The valley vineyards were my favorites. They still had green leaves. Some vines still had grapes. This briefly made me think that Winter is farther away than it is.

But, there is more to life than just good wine. We also had two great picnic lunches, discovered a good Chinese restaurant, and drove through Colorado National Monument.

Every year we go with a different group of people. This year it was fun with Char and her high school friends and their husbands. But it left me wondering who will we take next year?

Only time will tell.

6 Comments:

Blogger 1 plus twins said...

vineyard, shit i am up for that. put me in for next year. after the year i have just had i could use it!! lol

9:54 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

yum...wine. I'll go too. Can I bring my husband? We have lots of free time now.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

We have great vineyards here on the north fork of Long Island and a really nice one (or a few) upsate NY. My husband and I love to go in July, around our anniversary, just the two of us, and it is a day trip, which makes it all the better. I have a couple of favorite wineries that we go to and we always come back with a good bottle of wine or two or three or........so sign me up for next year's trip, I am with 1 plus twins, after the year I have had......

4:35 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Glad you had a nice little getaway Ralph. The grapes are sure pretty!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well that's quite a 'bunch' in the pic Ralph. Sounds like fun.
Sign me up for your bus tour.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't know you had any vineyards in Colorado. I hear that we have some in southern Indiana, though I've never been there. I'm pretty sure that the Indiana vineyards don't have mountains in the background though.

Sign me up for next year!

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home