Monday, March 02, 2009

The Passing of Words

Colorado had two major newspapers until last week. Last Friday, fifty-five days from its 150th anniversary, the Rocky Mountain News printed its final edition.

I grew up with this newspaper. Of the two papers, this one was always my favorite. They had an easy to read layout and, for the most part, they reported the news without adding their own slant to it.

The final edition was great. In the center of the front page was a short story saying goodbye and on the outer edges were the stories from the front page of the first edition. They did a special 54-page edition that showed some of the front pages they ran since their beginning on April 23, 1859. They reprinted some of the major news stories they covered and they even showed all the changes the nameplate had experienced throughout the years.

The day before the final edition, I was listening to the news. A journalism professor was interviewed about the paper going out of business. He said within two years it is highly likely that none of the major newspaper in the nation will be printed. They will all be on-line.

We may be saying goodbye to the printed word.

Then early this morning, I learned that Paul Harvey passed away this weekend. He had a talent for telling the news and his radio show, ‘The Rest of the Story’ in an entertaining and informative way.

13 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

I was really sad to learn of Paul Harvey's passing. A fond memory.

It's always hard to see these papers disappear. There have been so many. If it's true that they are all on their way out,I hope I won't be around to see them all go. I go to the internet many times for news from distant places, but there is nothing like settling down with the local papers. I don't even mind the ink stains.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I know one well who will mourn the passing and one who will clebrate the demise.
I know little about it personally. I know some news organizations are strugling due to their inability to tell the story straight up with out putting a slant on it. I don't know the case here.
Paul Harvey was a great and icon. There won't be another but I'm glad to have known him as a friend on the radio. Good...day.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

I am a Paul Harvey fan. When his wife died last year my husband noted the change.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

This brings such great sadness to me. The Rockey always had a way of starting off my day on the right foot.

On-line. Ummm just not the same at all!

Thank you Ralph for sharing the final edition.

The Rockey will be be missed !

4:47 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Having a journalism degree automatically gives me a soft spot in the heart for newspapers. It's tough when one with such a rich heritage dies.

And it's tough when one of your life-long "friends" like Paul Harvey dies. We had a rich heritage there, too, if you think about it.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What a loss. It sounds like an amazing final issue.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd heard about the newspaper - it is sad to see this trend... not all change is for the better. What a rich history. Sad too, about Paul Harvey. My dad was quite a fan of his twice daily broadcasts, which brought him such pleasure, after he lost his vision./Deb

11:48 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, that's too bad Ralph. I do hope the newpapers continue. I enjoy my paper each day! Very much! Online would not be the same, no way...not even close.

I did not know Paul Harvey died. I enjoyed listening to him.

You are just the bearer of bad news today!!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

The price of "progress" can be outrageous Ralph.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Several years ago the Tulsa Tribune stopped publishing. I actually cried when their last edition came out. Thankfully the remaining newspaper, The Tulsa World, picked up a lot of the Tribune's writers. We do not take a newspaper but occasionally I will pick one up and sit and read it with my coffee. It is a special feeling. Newspapers and reporters like Paul Harvey are just the tip of the iceberg as our world continues to drastically change.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It is always sad to see a good newspaper close down... Years ago the Houston Post closed shop and now all we have to read is the Houston Chronicle.... With no competition, there is bias.

I always waited for Paul Harvey to come on the radio...I loved "the rest of the story".......He will be missed.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

I will surely miss Paul Harvey. I'm glad we still have PH, Jr.

12:23 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I was sorry to hear about the passing of the RMN. The Indianapolis Star is in trouble also. They are asking the staff to take a 15% pay cut. The price of newsprint has more than tripled over the years.
I subscribe to the Star at home and at work to support them. That said, I wind up just recycling the home one. *sigh.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home