Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The Lamp

The past few weeks I spent time with the person who will be assuming my position at the forest service. I have known him for years and I am quite sure things are being left in capable hands.

Last week we were sitting in the office going through computer files, when a lady I have worked with for years walked in and asked if I had told him about the desk lamp. Now, that's a pretty odd question, even by my standards. When I said no she said I better tell him.

I said when I started in this position we were in a different building. I really liked the office but the lightening was bad. So, my first official act was to go out and buy a desk lamp. When we moved to the new building I didn't need it but brought it along anyway.

That's when I heard the rest of the story . . .

The lady went on to explain that's how I got the lamp but not what it means. She said anyone who watched me knew when I came into the office I sat everything down, walked over and turned on the lamp. At night when leaving, I would gather up what I needed, walk over an turn off the lamp.

She went on to say, "Ralph, never has used the sign out board, anyone who needs to see him never looks at it. Rather, they walk by his office to see if the lamp is on or off. If it's on they know he's in the building. If it's off they know they need to call his cell phone or send him an e-mail. Don't mess with the lamp." And with that she left.

February 26th I turned off the lamp and exited the building. There are other lamps waiting to be lit.

16 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

I like your attitude.

And I am quite sure that you will be sorely missed in that office.

2:57 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ WHAT? Retirement? Now I'm just jealous! Nice job! :-)

~ jb///

3:24 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I bet they'll "leave the light on for you". (This post made me cry too.)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great post R.
Someone is probably violating your lamp even as we speak.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

That's a sweet story but kind of sad too.
Have a blessed retirement.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Oh that was nice, really nice, great story, I like how you say there are other lamps to be lit, must be hard to leave a place after so long, after having people depend on you, look for you, learn your methods, but yet you are looking forward to those other lamps, wow, that was really good.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ralph, I think everyone in your building and more liked you and helped take care of you when you got older and needed some TLC to carry on with things there.

I have a feeling that this nice lady will pick on your replacement where she left off with you.
When you go back for a visit, check out how that (signal)light is working.

And would you tell us, please?

Happy Retirement. You seem so young to be retired but then with golf and other retired things a bit of youthfulness helps.
..

7:45 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

After I hit the pub button I was reminded me of the cat with the bell put on by the mice.

I think this lady just put the bell on your replacement.
..

7:46 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yeah, me too.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great story Ralph. They'll miss you there, that's for sure. I'm glad they put someone capable in your spot so that you don't worry about that part of it.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

That is a great story, Ralph. It really is. It kinda reminds me of that old, old song, "My Grandfather's Clock." I know you're not old enough to remember that song, but maybe you can ask somebody about it. :)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I can sing it to him Paul. I know it.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I hope that you get to do all the things you want in retirement, and many things you don't know yet that you want to do besides. Congratulations, Ralph!

10:01 AM  
Blogger golddog said...

Nice story Ralph.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Now the lights off, and nobody's at home.

Great post, Ralph!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous sewa mobil di surabaya said...

love it!!! thanks

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home