Thursday, July 21, 2005

Cul-de-sac Cook-off

We had a cook-off in my cul-de-sac last weekend. I did all the cooking. It seems like when I got my Dutch Oven it started quite a controversy. Which are better Grandma’s fresh frozen country style noodles or extra wide egg noodles? Many an evening with our neighbors and certainly a lot of dinner conversations would go like this:
“These are the best noodles ever”
“No there not, I like the other ones better”
“Well yeah, but you like (whatever) too.”
“You don’t know good noodles from bad ones”

People were getting way to serious about this noodle thing. I mean, we are only talking noodles here. So, I decided to bring it to an end. Last weekend, I cook two Dutch Ovens full of beef and noodles. One used extra wide egg noodles the other had Grandma’s country style. Invitations to attend the cul-de-sac cook-off were distributed.

After the main course, I made a nice little desert of Brazilian bananas served over ice cream and called for the vote. It was evenly split.

So what did I learn? If you have two Dutch Ovens full of beef and noodles and invite the neighbors over . . . . don’t expect left over for lunch the next day.

6 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! *G*

2:14 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

extra wide egg noodles are superior to the frozen homestyle, and the reason the vote was split was because you served bananas with ice cream and they were subconciously thinking 'split'.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Yum, lol re: you're punch line. From all my readings here, I already know you're a gr8 cook!
(Oh my, just read Clifferes banana split joke...I even laughed...after grimacing.)

1:06 AM  
Blogger Astrid said...

And I guess it is not only Cliff who is a good cook then!!!

6:04 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

OK Ralph where ya at?

10:09 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

When I used to babysit I'd make a big pot of beef-n-noodles in my cast iron dutch oven for the kids at lunch time. what is your recipe that I might be able to try it?

It also makes a mean swiss steak and cornbread bakes so nice in it!

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home