Friday, July 29, 2005

Varieties


The early harvest of Colorado peaches has started. Above is a picture of organic Regina peaches from Palisade, Colorado. In my humble opinion, Palisade is the peach capital of the world. Early season peaches are good but I prefer late season peaches like J.H. Hales and Alberta. I think they are sweeter.

Last year I was in Palisade during the late harvest picking up a couple boxes of J.H. Hales for canning. When talking to one of the local growers I discovered they are now creating different varieties of peaches for their looks rather than their taste. "Why would anyone want to do that," I asked. He handed me a pretty ugly peach and told me to taste it. It was without a doubt the juiciest, best tasting peach I have ever had. He also told me they were ripping the trees that produced that particular type of peach out of the orchard to plant a better looking variety. When I told him I thought that was a big mistake he laughed. Then he got serious and said, "Ralph, when it comes to peaches people tend to buy with their eyes." He explained that a lot of people, mainly from large towns and cities, buy peaches and produce based on how it looks rather than taste.

Every time I drive through Palisade, it serves as a reminder that we should judge people, projects, and other things in life on their substance not their appearance.
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Rhodent said...

The same goes for oranges... some of the best oranges are downright ugly! What do people buy? The pretty looking Sunkist brand that has no blemishes and sometimes very little taste.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

That's a wonderful story, with a good message. From now, it's the ugliest fruit for me! *G*

11:47 PM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

OK Ralph I hope I dot' upset you but,,,, I have never tasted a beter juicer, sweeter,, bigger peach then GEORGIA peaches. OMG when I visited my friend in Flo. last summer we drove to S.C. via Georgia and stopped for some of those peaches!! SORRY I could not get enough.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Astrid said...

You are absolutely right and I must say I do try to stick to that! But peaches, mmm ... how can anyone just not love them? Beautiful or ugly!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

A+

2:49 PM  
Blogger taza said...

Hi Ralph and thanks for dropping by my blog!
Loved the peaches pic but did not like the post--it's insane that even produce now must fall into the "attractive is better" mindset. I say get some of those trees before they are all ripped out!
:)

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home