Friday, August 05, 2005

Open House


One of my offices was moved into a new building. The building is brand new and is quite nice. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is now in a cubicle. The only complete walls in the whole building are for the restrooms. Even the conference room has walls that do not reach the ceiling.

Years ago, I had a cubicle so the change did not bother me all that much. At least until I heard the name that is now being used - democratic spacing. Everyone gets roughly the same amount of room and all the cubicles are alike as far as color and layout. It may be democratic spacing to some but to me it is just plain boring.

Anyway, wanting to make the best of it I unpacked all my boxes and even hung some pictures. Then it hit me. Why not have a cubicle housewarming party? I sent out invitations via e-mail and could tell by the laughter in our democratic spaced building when they were being read. Finally, the following day arrived and my cubicle housewarming party was held. Everyone in the building attended and got a good laugh. The party lasted only about three minutes but seemed to break some of the tension of the move. Besides that, it was fun Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Great idea!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I didnt' receive my invitation. I'll go check my email again.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

What an awesome idea! Too bad it didn't last a bit longer!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

P. S. Any idea what's up with Woody? He hasn't posted in quite awhile.

10:03 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

UMM hope ya got some good gifts.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Hi Ralph, you have the coolest ideas! That's very nice furniture for a cubicle.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Democratic spacing sounds like a good story line for Dilbert.
Dan

5:57 PM  
Blogger taza said...

I'm thinking that of course you've gotten the email jokes about the new jargon for corporate desk-spaces like this: "prarie-doggin'" comes to mind!

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home