Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Trader Vic

A couple years ago, Char’s dad, Vic, spent time between our home and assisted living. Even when Vic was in assisted living, we cooked most of his meals because he was on a restrictive diet – no salt, no sugar, and no fat.

On day after visiting Vic at the assisted living center, Charlene walked in, and slammed the door. I immediately had the wine bottle in one hand and the TV schedule in the other. The wine might calm her down. If not the TV schedule would help me develop plan B. I could see plan A might be a distant memory.

I asked, “What’s happening now?”

Well, it seems like Vic traded his pork roast, potatoes, and carrots for a bowl of potato soup, saltine crackers, and a half a corn beef sandwich. Now I’m no expert but those seem to have a lot of salt. According to Char, he did keep the pudding.

I called Vic and we had the following conversation.

Ralph: Hi Vic, how’s it going?
Vic: Fine Ralph, and you?
Ralph: How was that pork roast?
Vic: Good.
Ralph: How would you know, you traded it.
Vic: George said it was really good.
Ralph: Okay, Vic. Everything you ate tonight is really, really bad for you. You can’t do that again. Why did you trade the pork roast?
Vic: I didn’t have any horseradish.

I paused here for a long sip of wine.

Ralph: Vic, there was mustard and BBQ sauce.
Vic: I know but I wanted horseradish.
Ralph: Okay, Vic, here’s the deal. We are spending a lot of time planning and preparing these meals. You’re going to have to eat them. You ate way to much salt today.

There was I long pause here. I don’t think Vic had any wine.

Vic: Okay, Ralph.

From that day on, whenever he got pork roast he got horseradish.

8 Comments:

Blogger Miki said...

Ralph, that is a nice story. I think that your FIL really appreciated things that were done for him, trust me. By the way, "funfetti" cake is a mix that Pilsburry puts out. It is essentially a white cake with multi colored sprinkles in it, the tie in would be the pre made icing with the sprinkles to be added to the top. I didn't purchase the icing when the mixes were on sale, I purchase the plain ones and add my own stuff.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

hahaha, trading lunches like little boys in grade school. I love it.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

You can't teach old men new tricks...can you Ralph? Err..I meant can you Char?

11:17 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Give him ice cream quite often too. I makes people mellow!

I'm on holiday, Jim's Little Blog will be operated by Karen and/or Billy until mid-June.
I will try to find an Internet cafe in the jail house so I can check in every now and then.
..

8:40 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great story Ralph. You know, when you reach a certain age a person ought to have just what they want to eat...at least occasionally!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

I love that story! My FIL was always difficult to feed, too. If it had been as simple as horseradish sauce we'd have all been much happier!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

There's humor in your stories of your FIL, but underneath there's so much love. This was a funny, touching story, Ralph. Thanks for sharing it.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
What else you gonna do while you're in the nursing home?

That's a great story.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home