Sunday, July 29, 2007

Step 14,787

Years ago, a friend asked if I would carry a pedometer and record the number of steps I walked. Our agency was in a competition with another agency about who walked the most. Since she was a good friend, I agreed to do so. I don’t remember who won. But I do remember two things. First, it soon become a habit to carry that pedometer and I still do to this day. Secondly, most of the steps we take on any given day are pretty common and uneventful. But, occasionally there is a step that is life changing. This is the story of one of those steps. The story of step 14,787.

The day started out hot and dry just like any other day during the past five weeks. Around eleven o’clock in the morning the clouds started to build up. This had happen before so no one got excited. The clouds usually just blew over. But not today. At around 4:45 they just opened up and we received heavy, heavy rain. Normally this would not be a big deal but this was DOR ‘s (Daughter of Ralph) and SILOR's (Son in Law of Ralph’s) WEDDING DAY.

Fortunately, at around 5:30 the rain stopped and things began to dry out. They could still have the outdoor wedding they wanted.

Here are some the events leading up to, during, and after step 14,787.


Here is a picture of the bride and Char getting ready for the big day. The brides maids were helping as well. This picture is priceless, at least to me, as it shows a special moment between mother and daughter.












The bride is ready.




The groom looks a little nervous. He should be – in a matter of minutes I will officially be his Father in Law.

The Mother of the Bride enters on the arm of a groom’s man – who also happens to be her son.



The bride makes her entrance. Don’t let the smiles fool you. The bride was ready. The father is a nervous wreck.



Then there is the life changing steps I was talking about. This is step 14,787. This is the exact moment Char and I officially gave Tiffany to Jason to become his wife

Tiffany and Jason moments after becoming husband and wife

The happy couple enjoying their first meal together as husband and wife. There was no pretense at the wedding, the reception, and even the food that was served – it was just so Tiffany and Jason.

These two kids spent the summer with Char and I. Yet, this is the biggest smile we had seen on either one of their faces.









The first dance by the bride and groom.









Tiffany and Jason are laying out a strategy to cut the cake.

Here are some of the groom’s man having a good time at the wedding. These guys were great. They were a lot of fun to have around and all of them told us that Tiffany and Jason really belong to one another.

Speaking of dancing there was a lot of it. I danced more this day than I have in the last 50 years. I don’t dance, but I did today. Here Tiffany and I are doing the father-daughter dance.



Don’t be deceived by this picture – she is not reaching for my wallet.








I even tried to do the twist with Jason.

While it might appear that Char and these ladies were excited to the have the wedding over – they are actually doing the YMCA dance.








I’m not sure what Cliff and I were laughing about – it might have been the fact that this was the first time I saw him when he wasn’t cooking. We had many friends who helped throughout the wedding and we truly appreciate all of them and their help. Cliff and Marilyn were there and did whatever needed to be done while having a calming affect on Char and I.

The wedding is over, the reception is done, the dancing is finished, and Tiffany and Jason walk through the bubbles to get to the limo.

And so ends the story of step 14,787.

24 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Ah Ralph...you got through it just fine looks like. I'm glad you weren't stingy with the pictures! :)

I love Tiff's dress and her hair. Very pretty! I hope they live happily ever after.

Now you can relax a bit and catch your breath.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Cngratulations to the young couple! I too wish for them to live happily ever after!
Thank you for posting the tale, Ralph, we were all waiting for your report.

How did you make it? We didn't get a wine report but I'm guessing you relaxed a little by mid evening.

Oh yes, did you record your steps at bedtime?. With all that dancing it surely is over 15,000 now.
Lets see, 1 1/2 [i.e. 1.5] feet per step, that is 3520 steps per mile.
14,787 / 3520 = 4.2008523 miles in all those years you have been wearing it.
So, better get to getting along or old age will set in before you ever hit 20 miles walking!
..
[Just watch that Ralph say the machine has rolled over several times. Shall we let him get away with that?]
..

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel honored that I was able witness this very special step(14,787) with you and your family !

The day was filled with many wonderful emotions that captured my heart !

Thank you all for that !

Congratulation to the Dor & Silor & The Campbell & Gordan Family's !

6:34 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

What a beautiful day you all had. Remember the moments!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Nicely done my good man. You should be proud of your family. I know I'm proud of them. A big step that was taken with class. Congrats.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful pictures with us. You certainly look like you all had a wonderful time. God bless the bride and groom!

10:40 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Great pictures and post. Reading it was a great way to start the week. A little teary eyed, but a great way.

I loved all of the photographs.

I'm guessing that your wallet was not worth reaching for after the wedding.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

What a fantastic post - I got a little misty-eyed reading it. . . Congratulations to Tiffany and Jason!

And Ralph - congratulations to you and Char now that it's all over - hopefully life can go back to whatever you call normal. :)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Reading this left me feeling teary-eyed, and I never cry at weddings! What a beautiful wedding; I'm so happy for them! And for all of you.

Congratulations!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure step 14,787 was one of the hardest steps you'll ever take. What a touching post.

10:19 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

what a beautiful bride and groom! thanks so much for sharing your family's special day. congrats to tiff and her husband and to you and char!! it looks like a wonderful time was had by all. what beautiful memories!!!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Step by step, you made it through it. Don't think of it as giving your DOR away. You're gaining a SILOR.

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it was a lovely ceremony. Congratulations!

10:42 PM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Hey Ralph they look so happy it will be nice when I/we get to unload,,, I mean give away one of our 5 daughters... lovley couple...

11:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What a wonderful post!!
I wish your lovely daughter and her tall, handsome hubby many happy, healthy years together.
Thanks for sharing this great day with us, your blog buddies.
That step you took was a doozie, but it sure was terrific!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Looks like you do the twist pretty well Ralph!

I'm going to EAT that onion!! Not all at one time though! :)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

What a beautiful day and a gorgeous couple! The wedding looked like fun! Tiffany and Jason's smiles said it all, how lovely! Thank you for sharing these wonderful moments with us, Ralph, they are truly priceless!

6:30 AM  
Blogger possum said...

14,787 for you - step 1 for them. Brought tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing a great moment!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Wonderful pictures Ralph. I love that you danced with your daughter. She is just beautiful.
What great memories you made.
I pray they have a happy life together.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Are you okay? Did step 14,787 take its toll on you?

My word verification is imakywa

I'm a KY Woman!!! HA!

8:05 AM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

What a beautiful wedding. You all look so wonderfully happy.

Congratulations to the Bride and Groom.

Thanks for sharing such a special step with us.

Hugs xx

1:19 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Ralph, I keep rereading this lovely post.
Any word from the newlyweds? They must still be on thier honeymoon since they have not chimed in yet.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

A great and inspirational post, Ralph. Sorry I didn't get here sooner.
By the way, I know you've been busy, but I want to let you know that my new Hat blog is officially open. Stop by my blog to get the link. I'll let you know when folks get to see your hat.

Many best wishes to the happy couple. And to the happy couple's parents. Blessings, too.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

14,787 steps works out to almost six miles.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So poignant, Ralph!
Delightfully creative way to recount the wedding. (Only a slight pun on "count.") I use a pedometer, although I don't wear it to fancy occassions like a wedding. (no place to hook it on the dress.)

This whole photo show is stirring: precious moments of yours and Chars lives forever, not to mention TIffancy and Jason.
Loved them all!
Again, best wishes to all of you. Jason is part of a terrific family.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home