Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wedding, Wine, and Woman

The wedding plans are progressing - I guess. My opinion hasn’t been sought. I hear a little about it but for the most part, I haven’t been let into the inner circle. I'm okay with that. The wedding is about six weeks away, I’m sure DOR (Daughter of Ralph) and Char will make it all come together.

Last night when I walked in, I saw six bottles of wine on the table. Actually, our kitchen table is not that large and you would have to work hard not to see six bottles of wine. Wine at our house is not an uncommon site. We just don’t buy it by the case. Unless of course we give a wine tour in Palisade.

It’s time to select the wines for the wedding. So, after dinner DOR, our neighbor, Char, and SILOR (Son in Law of Ralph), opened a few bottle to select the right one. Last night was red wine night. While I like the taste of red wine, I don’t do well with it so I sipped my ice tea. I think a decision was made but cannot tell you what it was, see the sentence above which reads, “My opinion hasn’t been sought.”

Tomorrow is DOR’s birthday but we celebrated early. DOR and SILOR will be gone looking for a place to live after the wedding and handling some work items. To celebrate we took DOR and SILOR out to dinner, prior to the wine tasting. It was a fun evening but for a brief time, at least for me, it was one of those reflective moments. While I was snapping this picture, I got thinking about the young woman in the camera lens. I flashed back twenty-three years to when she was born. I was also thinking this is the last birthday she will just be our daughter. On her next birthday, she will still be our daughter but she will also be SILOR’s wife.
SILOR is a great guy and I am sure he will be a good husband. My first clue was his sense of humor – I mean he laughs at all my jokes. Secondly, he has taken up golf. We haven’t played since they arrived but that will change as tasks for the wedding draw to a close. However, he recently asked me for a bit of advice. I’ll post about that later.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Happy Birthday to TC. She's the best.
Even though SILOR's sense of humor has been called in to question here, (he laughs at your jokes) I think that Tiffany did well. I've only met him once but he's the real deal Ralph. But I know you know that.
Trust me, you don't want to be let into the inner circle of wedding planning. Men don't belong there. Unless of course they can use the word 'Fabulous' with a flare and can use the word 'Chiffon' with autority. No, I have no idea.
Thanks for staying away from the red wine. I know how it tends to bring out your better qualities.
It's also cheaper than a divorce attorney.
Yes the birthday deal is a downer. About 20 years old they always want to distance themselves from their parents on that. Up until then birthdays are for kids and mothers who did the work of childbirth.
I see my word verification is 'fcctozle'. That reminds me, I need to go look at Nora's blog.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ralph, You once met another good friend of mine and you made an impression. Every time I mention you or he sees a picture of you at our house, he chuckles and quotes you, "Red Wine Turns Me Into an @$$&*!#"

6:36 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Best you stay away from the red wine Ralph (I read Dan's comment!!). I guess Cliff is right about the wedding plans as well. It's more in line with a "woman's thing to handle" issue with all the details of a wedding. (I first typed in weeding, and I guess if it was for a weeding they'd definitely consult you more!!) :)

I'm glad SILOR is a good man and laughs at your jokes! Golfing is a definite plus as well.

I imagine that when you walk her down the aisle that those eyes of yours will definitely be misty Ralph. Carry some tissue.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Happy Birthday DOR!!!
It sounds festive busy and good there...good on ya!
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

2:32 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Does his shirt say "Got Gordon?"

7:00 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Happy Birthday, DOR.
Ralph, I enjoyed the garden photos. No woodchucks, lucky you.

7:45 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Hey, I think that Cliff might have been making fun of my last name!

I'm not a fan of red wine either, it makes me morose and amorous—all at the same time. Not a good combination, trust me.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Happy Birthday, DOR!
I know you won' read this on your birthday but then have a happy day after!
Ralph, sorry you are missing out on the red wine. There are more songs about red wine than white.
I remember the one that goes, "Red, red wine ..." That's all I remember without Googling for the Lyrics.

My word verification is yturwvvw. That reminds me I'd better shut down and go to bed.
..

10:30 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

happy birthday to your daughter. you may be sad that she won't be just your daughter but trust me i know from expercience she will ALWAYS be your little girl!!!! i am 36 and 3 kids of my own and i am still daddy's little girl and love it! i will always adore adn love my daddy!! congrats on getting a good man to be your son in law. and congrats to your daughter too. the both seem like such wonderful kids/adults. you should be really proud. can't wait to hear all the details, plan and pictures!!! i so want to know all about the advice he asked for!!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

My little girl, Karen, is coming to make me a pizza tonight.
She's bringing BP (GC#4) and Billy too.
The other little girl is in San Diego with her mother-in-law visiting my grandson (her son) and his new bride!
Life goes on.
..
I can't figure out why people are telling you their word verification, but here is mine, again 'fmnkpb,' for this time.
..

3:12 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I can only imagine how it must feel to see your little girl all grown up, planning her wedding. Your love for her always shines through in your writing, as does your obvious- and justified- pride in her. You and Char done good!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home