Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memory Loss and Almost Light

When DOR and SILOR announced their engagement, many people gave me advice. Most of which I don’t remember. The one bit of advice I do remember was given to me over breakfast. The person said, “Well, Ralph, you have the easy part. All you have to do is wait and walk her down the aisle.” I liked that advice but it has proven to be a lie.

For the past couple of months people have been in my backyard and throughout my house doing various things in preparation for the wedding. Yes, yes, I know – Char says it too – it’s not just for the wedding. But, during these trying times, it's hard to remember that.

Last night I made a list of things I have to do. There are twenty-eight items on that list. The last two are of great interest to me, purchase a new smoker and purchase a wine rack. Finally, I realized Char was right, those two items will be beneficial after the wedding.

I also think the hustle and bustle is starting to get to Char. Just the other night she snapped at me. All I said was. . . “Next time I go into town I need to pick up . . . wait. . .never mind, I live in town.” Of course, I said it close to fifty times that day.

Anyway, the south side of the house now has flagstone steps and a new tree. The first view is looking up the steps. The second view is looking down towards the setting area which I will write about in another post. Last night I put in the solar lights. After I got them installed, I proudly went in the house and announced to Char, DOR, and SILOR that I was going out at 2:30 in the morning to inspect them and would be happy to wake up anybody that wanted to tag along. After a lot of mumbling and attempts to contain their enthusiasm someone suggested I take a picture. I swear those people missed a good time.

I’ve concluded these little solar beauties are just decoration. They put out just enough light so you know they are there and can avoid stepping on them.
Now the memory loss part of all this – while I can remember eating breakfast when I was told, “Well, Ralph, you have the easy part. All you have to do is wait and walk her down the aisle.” I can’t for the life of me remember who made the statement. That might be a good thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

That looks incredible!

4:21 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

The flagstone looks great, as I am sure that the solar lights do too! How exciting it must be to be caught up in getting things ready for the big event! It will all seem a distant memory when you do walk her down that aisle! Savor the moments leading up to the special day, savor the day, it will be over too quickly. We expect pictures of everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!

6:29 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Nothing like a wedding to get the place spiffed up.
Weddings have spawned may projects at my parents farm. The place looks great, and be glad that you did not have a bin to paint.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well you have been a busy fellow Ralph!! The flagstone and landscaping looks great! I have some of those solar lights that are still in the box. I need to find a place to put them in my yard. I have the place picked out, but just haven't gotten around to it yet!

Twenty eight things. Mercy. I will pray for you Ralph and hope they get crossed off fairly quickly!

When are they getting married????

1:07 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Wow! The place looks fantastic!
Thank you for posting the solar lights my mom was going on and on about them on the phone the other night and I had no clue what they were...now I can tell her I saw them at your place and now I am in da loop on the solar light thing...she said she had some blue ones but they went kuputz and now she has the white and she likes them better.
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home