Friday, June 01, 2007

A Yard Divided

So . . . Char was just staring at me after she said, “What?” It really shouldn’t have surprised her when I announced, “I’ll be out in the north field.”

For years, I’ve been fascinated with orchards, hay fields, vineyards, farms and plantations. They are outdoors, they have to do with growing or trying to grow things, and they require space. The picture is of an orchard outside of Palisade, Colorado.

When you live in a subdivision within a large city, you just don’t have enough land to establish an adequate size orchard, vineyard, or farm. Hay fields are most certainly out, as they can’t be mowed regularly in accordance with the covenants of the homeowners association.

So, realizing my land accusation was limited to a subdivision lot and major improvements to the “old homestead” are underway, I came to the conclusion this might be as good as it’s going to get.

That’s when I decided to divided my yard into fields. The north field is the garden. The south field was highlighted in my previous post. The east and west fields are the backyard and front yard, respectively.

In all fairness to Char, I forgot to tell her I renamed the yard. So, I explained my new concept.

I’m not sure what she was shaking her head at after I said, “So, I’ll be in the north field trying to plant the crops.” But, I am smart enough to know now was not the time to bring up the need for a small tractor.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

You are a wise man Ralph!! In all honesty, I think the tractor might be overkill from the size of your farm!! But then again you might need it to plow the "lower 40!"

8:48 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I think you'd better just harness up the earthworms and plow the field with them. *G*

11:27 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ralph, I'm with you. You need a small tractor. I have one.
It is an International Super MTA, size 1:18. You might go bigger depending on the size of your farm, maybe at least riding size.
But you have ruined access to the north forty with that new stepped walk. You needed a gravel path.

Other suggestion: check on replacing the bulbs in your solar lights with brighter ones. The cells don't need to last--hold their charge--all night, just the part of the evening you will be using them.
I suggest at least doubling the wattage.
..
BTW, one of thes days again I will write a blog entry worthy of your comment. :-) :-) :-)
..

2:00 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

My 8440 w/34 foot field cultivator needs a 16 foot gate to go thru. If you can expand the gates I see in the photo below, I can drive out and help you work the two east fields. Farmers neighbor that way you know. Has the government placed any restrictions on the farming on your east fields? They lay low enough that I fear they might be designated as 'wetlands' and protected from draining. Do you have standing water that might have Pallid Sturgeon or sandy areas, near water, where a Piping Plover might nest and multiply? Let me know.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Never mind what I had posted and deleted!!! It's been a long day!!!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

You could pick up some of that remote control construction equipment while your at it..Tell her you off to buy the works..loader, backhoe...
I am heading out to the dairy,butcher,egg farm,mill, and vegetable stand..take me while to rustle up that grub..
Loved your post..
Thanks!
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

12:03 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I think you could successfully argue that the cost of a tractor belongs under the wedding expenses column.

Let me know how that goes...

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Nora. This is the time to buy all those outdoor tools / implements you've been wanting. When asked about the purchases: It's for the wedding.

This offer is good for a limited time. Act now!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Just tell her you need some farm hands to till the fields. You're planning on making the crops you'll be eating and canning in the fall!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home