Saturday, September 15, 2007

It'll All Work Out

On occasion, I get in a philosophical mood. It usually happens when I am driving and alone in the car. One of two things happens to my philosophical discoveries. They are turned into a joke because I believe in the power of humor or I just keep them to myself. Rarely, do I share them to better mankind or save the world. I know that is selfish and in an attempt to change I will share a philosophy I am starting to believe.

This week we had a going away luncheon for a lady who helped me a lot over the past couple of years. She is a year older than DOR (Daughter of Ralph) and was married around the same time. At her luncheon, she announced what their plans were. They will be moving to a small community in eastern Colorado and hope to buy a farm. They have jobs at the grain elevator but don’t have a place to live. Then she stared at me, smiled, and said, “It’ll all work out”. It was almost as if she knew I had to hear those words.

It’ll all work out. I have heard that a lot this year. First, SOR (Son of Ralph) moved to the Midwest. He didn’t know much about that part of the country, he didn’t know where he would be living, and he didn't know many people out there. But, he said, “It’ll all work out.” And it has.

When DOR and SILOR (Son in Law of Ralph) returned from their honeymoon, they loaded up the car, and headed back to Chicago. They had no apartment but they assured us, “It’ll all work out.” It did. Now it’s fun listening to them as they establish their home.

Shortly after that, SORSO (Son of Ralph’s Significant Other) stopped by. She too was leaving and uttered the words, “It’ll all work out.” As near as I can tell, it has worked out remarkably well.

Then there’s me. I’m a planner, I like having all the pieces in place. This is the extreme opposite of the ‘it’ll all work out’ philosophy. But it started me thinking - I wonder if sometimes we miss a part of the journey because we are too busy trying to making all the pieces line up?

Well, I had better stop here. A few more sentences and I’m likely to tell Char, “Pack a bag and get in the van. I have no idea where we are going but – it’ll all work out”.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Like you, I am a planner.
I like to pre-plan as much as possible, and be ready for all possiblities.
I don't go to the grocery store without a list.
I can't relax if my house is messy and laundry isn't done.
I like all my ducks in a row.

I have used that phrase though, because life has a way of tossing unexpected things in my path just like it does to everybody.
In those situations, I grit my teeth and say, "It'll all work out."
And it usually does.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think I'm one of those "it'll work out" person, but I do also plan sometimes! I guess that makes me an inbetween person then!!

1:52 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I'm too much of an "it will all work out" person. Maybe you and JD can rein me in a bit.
At least my dishes and column would be done before I head out the door to my waitressing shift -- that starts in two minutes...whoops, it will all work out, right?

2:43 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I'm also a planner, but have been trying to cultivate more of an "it will all work out" attitude. So far, when I've taken that position, it has all worked out.

But I still tend to plan anyway.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I guess I'm a 'It'll all work out' person and that's why we get along.
Do get in the car. I'll fix something to eat. It'll all work out.
Move to T-town, It'll all work out.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

I am always making lists and planning things ahead... but I have also learned to let things work out as they will. When things have been uncertain for me over the last few years, I plan what I can and trust that somehow things work out... God has always taken good care of me and I trust that He will continue to take care of me. I get impatient sometimes, and sometimes I worry and get tense, but I can look back and see how things usually seem to work out for my own good. When things get tough, there seems to be some necessary life lesson that I have needed to learn.

So I will continue to make my lists and plan ahead... knowing that things change unexpectedly and I can deal with it... somehow things will work out...

2:44 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I'm like you Ralph. A planner. I've tried it the other was a few times and discovered it does
NOT always work out. LOL
That's why they say 'Live and Learn!'

4:04 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

There is room in the world for us planners. I wish I had the conviction of"It will all work out." I get frightened at that possibility. I need to know how, when, where, and the little details. SOme call me obsessive compulsive with my planning, but it makes my overanxious brain sleep at night! I'm with you, I can't let it be, I must plan!

4:11 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Sigh. I am not only a planner, but I am a LIST MAKER. Oh, spare me! I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO BE DOING but, ya know what? It so seldom works out that way. My first husband made me make lists because I tend to be, um, shall we say, un-organized? Friends (the kind ones) say it is part of my creative spirit. Isn't that nice? Better than, "You idiot" right? But, I am flexible, and that saves me. But the list and the planning gets me going and gets me back on track before or after life throws me a surprise. I think I am too old to ever just take off and not know where I am going to end up. Yet, I tend to tell others, it will all work out, and it will. We just don't have any idea what IT is! That is the fun part. Sometimes.

7:28 AM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

i so wish i could have that "it will all work out" attitude. i am a planner, scheduler, lister, organizer. etc etc ha ha

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home