Thursday, September 06, 2007

Four States of. . . CORN

If you read this post, you’ll know that orchards, vineyards, and hay bales fascinate me. But, so do cornfields. When traveling across four states, three of which are known for growing corn, you see plenty of it. So, let’s explore four states of corn.

Nebraska
This is a view of my favorite field. It was taken at Cliff’s when we stopped to visit. I love talking to Cliff about corn and soybeans because I know very little about either one. Cliff always takes the time to answer my amateur (and sometimes stupid) questions. He spends a lot of time explaining farming to me. But, there are always a few jokes, a couple of stories, and a good meal involved

Here is a close up of the corn in the field. It won’t be long until harvest starts. If Cliff has been putting some money away for equipment repairs, I’ll be able to “help” him again this year

Illinois
This is the first and only time I’ve seen a golf cart close to a cornfield. SOR and SILOR were off looking for one of their golf balls. I keep telling them, “Hit it straight down the fairway, its easier to find.” They both drive the ball further than I do. I like to keep mine in sight and with any luck, in the fairway. This cornfield is actually a research plot for Illinois State University.

Iowa
This cornfield is located next to a rest area outside of Grinnell. From eastern Nebraska all through Iowa and Illinois, I was amazed at how green everything was.

Colorado
This field is located outside of Crook off Interstate 76. It’s one of the nicer cornfields in Colorado. Many corn fields are only three to four feet tall and haven't tasseled out. While I don’t know for sure, I assume it’s because irrigation water to many northern Colorado counties has been shut off. No water might explain the poor crops.

6 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Remember the cornfield I once mentioned which grows almost as tall as the barn in its midst? It's just about that tall now.

I love corn!

8:38 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

The corn in your part of the country looks much better than the corn in central Indiana.
I like that view from the Morrow house also.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great post Ralph, but I suppose I could be biased. Corn's my game' as they say.
I've hit many an errant golf ball into corn and bean fields. It's hard to find a golf course in this state that doesn't have a corn or bean field nearby.
Were SOR and SILOR on the left side of the fairway? I'm impressed, there is clearly a higher class of people on the left side of the fairway. OR one of them is a left hander.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ralph, I'm glad that Cliff is use to stupid questions, because I'll probably ask him some at blogstock!!

Loved these corn pictures Ralph. Some of the corn here is turning brown and looks about ready for harvesting.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

This another great 'Across Four States' post. Thank you.

There was a drunk guy under the lightpost looking for his car keys one night.
He was asked if he thought they were under the light, his reply was "No, but I can see better over here under the light."

Those guys, SOR AND SILOR, reminded me of that fellow looking for his keys.
They are looking there in the open rough where they could see the ball and not even have to get out of the cart.
WE BOTH KNOW that the lost ball is out in that corn field.

I am requesting a favor of you, Ralph. Would you go look at the weed I pulled out of my flower bed this morning.

I need you to tell me what kind of a plant it is (common name species). Please, thanks.
Its picture is posted on my 'green blog,'
http://jimmiehov7.blogspot.com/
..

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
I could take a picture of some of the worst corn in the country...right outside my door. It's looking pretty sad around here.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home