Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Life Should be This Simple

I was in the front yard when I heard a familiar voice, “Hey, Ralph, you going to be home for a couple of minutes?” I looked up and saw my nine-year-old friend Geno. “Sure. C’mon over,” I yelled back.

Geno ran into his house and within seconds was back outside with a handful of papers. When he got to our house, our little chat went like this.

Geno: Hi Ralph, I’m doing another fundraiser for school.

With that statement, Geno gave me the catalog. A few years back Geno and I agreed neither one of us like long-winded sale pitches.

Ralph (looking through the catalog): So, Geno, do you get anything for doing this?
Geno: Well, if I sell fourteen things I can get what I real want.
Ralph: What do you really want?
Geno: The magic pen.
Ralph: How many things have you sold?
Geno (after counting the items on his sales sheet): So far, I've sold eleven.
Ralph: So what is a magic pen?

With great enthusiasm, Geno started telling me about the magic pen and all it could do. I bet you didn’t know it can write secret messages and everything. I’ll admit it – when he got done explaining the magic pen I wanted one too.

Over the years, these fundraisers have supplied me with “much needed” items for the kitchen and my van. I took the order sheet and wrote down the items I wanted.

Geno: Ralph! You ordered three items!
Ralph: Yeah, so?
Geno: That’s all I needed to get the magic pen!
Ralph: You are kidding! That’s amazing! I want to see that magic pen when you get it.

Geno left excited by the fact he was going to get his magic pen. I went back to what I was doing knowing that another tire gauge, a new set of barbecue basting brushes, and something else (I really don’t remember what) were wise purchases.

Yeah, more things in life should be this simple.

13 Comments:

Blogger 1 plus twins said...

ralph i so agree with you. i so wish that the simplness of life as a child stayed with us as adults. that was too sweet of you to order 3 for your buddy. you made his day and i am sure he will show it to you as soon as he gets it.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

Really sweet. My kids keep bringing home those catalogs from school but I can't afford to buy a $12 kitchen timer right now ;)

(I was sent here by Nora at Chez Pez).

10:25 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Sweet, and simple. Yes. This made me smile. :0)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I think most, if not all schools hold a fundraiser this time of year. We're doing one too. The top seller will win a portable DVD player. I know my kid won't win it, but it was a big hit for the kids to know they've got a GOOD prize coming.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least Gino knew what he would get for it. The last time I got hit up by my nieces they didn't know what the fundraiser was for, or what they would win.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Colton would like a bit of your time as well. How about some very tough microwave popcorn?

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to here more about the Magic Pen !

7:59 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

In a few years he'll forget all about the magic pen, but he'll always remember the man next door.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

A real friend...and a real man.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Yes, we must have at least a picture of the magic pen - no secret messages though lest the code be broken! :)

Very cool - I loved people like you when I was in school - I once got an amazing purple walkie-talking set. It was the BEST THING EVER!!!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Won't it be something is his magic pen writes as well as your magic computer keyboard!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

You are precious. This little guy will never forget you. We need more people in the world with your heart Ralph!
Ah yes, to be a child again in a simpler world. Only if it had caring neighbors like you.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You are a softie Ralph!! I want to know about the magic pen too!!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home