Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stocking Up

For the past few weeks, when you walk outside in the morning you can tell Fall is here. The temperatures have cooled to where you want a light jacket or vest.


Realizing winter is just around the corner I decided to start stocking up. A couple weeks ago, I canned peaches. This past weekend due to an abundance of tomatoes in the garden, I decided to make salsa.

I peeled, seeded, and chopped all the tomatoes, peppers, and onions. It took several hours. But I was thinking how good it will taste when snow blankets the ground.

When the salsa was almost ready to be canned, I took the bowl to Char to show her how I had invested a few hours of my life. She looked at me and said, “You know we have a food processor, right?”

Food processor? Taking out a spoonful of salsa, I questioned if a food processor could get uniformed size pieces. Food processor? Sure, it’s fast and saves a little time but - where’s the love?

All that work and we ended up with six small pints. We opened one last night. Honestly, it has just a little too much vinegar. But even a little extra vinegar can’t mask the love.

Maybe next time I’ll humor Char and try the food processor.

7 Comments:

Blogger PinkCat said...

Oh my Ralph you sound like Scragend. He loves to chop it all by hand. He makes a mean curry. I am well impressed with the canning.

I am trying to get back in the swing of blogging. Life gets crazy when you have little boys. lol

Thanks so much for your kind comments about my Gran. Its a horrible fright when you get news like that.

Take care xx

8:37 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

it looks wonderful. i can give you my address if you would like to send care packages to me every time you can. lol

10:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Good job Ralph. Looks good. You humoring Char will be fun to watch.

7:15 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

It looks wonderful.
I'm with you -- become "one" with the tomato.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I hate to break it to you, Ralph, but Char's right.
The food processor would have been the wise thing to use, but ofcourse, we women are always such practical thinkers, while you men are SO emotional and all into the "love" thing.
:-)
The salsa looks delicious, and I'm sure Char can literally taste the love!!
You did good.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

MMMMMMMMM...looks delicious! Just tell Char you prefer the "chunky" style! Homemade salsa is the best! If you have any extra... send some my way.... HEY! Make some for Blogstock!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It looks great Ralph. You seem to know your way around in the kitchen quite well! I am not a big fan of salsa, but I will eat it. Your's, no doubt is better than all that store bought kind!!

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home