Thursday, October 11, 2007

I Know it's Early But. . .

. . . it’s time for my annual rant. This picture was taken on September 26th. I was walking through a store that had a least five aisles of Halloween “stuff”. Okay, Halloween is a month away I can live with that. But, once you got past the Halloween items, there were already eight aisles full of Christmas “stuff”. Christmas is still three months away.

Once again Thanksgiving is over looked. Where was all the Thanksgiving stuff? I did happen to find some plastic salt and pepper shakers shaped like turkeys at one of the check out stand. There was one box of them.

So, I decided to explore why Thanksgiving is so overlooked. It’s pretty obvious once you do the math. These figures came from a few clicks on the internet. The figure for Christmas is the most conservative one. One site had the Christmas figure almost doubled. These figures show what is spent on the holidays in America. There was not a lot detail as to what was purchased.

Halloween . . . . . .$5,000,000,000 (yes, billion with a B)
Thanksgiving . . . . . . $54,000,000
Christmas . . . . $132,000,000,000


It’s no wonder the Christmas decorations come out earlier and earlier every year. Remember, large expensive gifts. . .it’s the reason for the season.

This year I think I’ll splurge on Thanksgiving and get us a Butterball turkey.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I'll rant right along with you Ralph. Rant! Rant! Rant! I have seen Christmas stuff in the stores already too. Geesh! It's WAY to early in my opinion.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

You're right, so rant.

But I wonder: wouldn't more money be spent on Thanksgiving if we had more selection of items to buy? ;0)

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
We have a local radio station (93.1) that is changing its format on Jan 7. So until then we have:
The 93 Days of Christmas.

I despise Christmas a little more with every year.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I like Thanksgiving mostly because you guys are usually here.
I'll fry the turkey.
Oh yes, "Bah frickin humbug."

3:43 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Welcome back, I've missed you.
I agree, Thanksgiving is overlooked. I always try to convince my business friends that they should send out Thanksgiving cards -- no one else does that, and who doesn't love Thanksgiving? Christmas cards get lost in the shuffle.
I saw some Christmas stuff at the hardware store last week. The thing that bugged me the most was that I actually stopped and looked at it.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

You know....I HATE halloween...it is such an annoying holiday to me - why would we spend so much MORE money on that holiday than Thanksgiving?! Seems those two numbers should be swapped. I LOVE Thanksgiving - maybe the fact that it's overlooked for sweets and the accumulation of goods says a lot about our society.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home