Thursday, January 10, 2008

All Quiet

“So, tell me about All Quiet on the Western Front.” Most phone calls don’t start that way but a recent one with SORSO (Son of Ralph’s Significant Other) did.

When SOR (Son of Ralph) was a senior in high school, he announced if he completed one more book report, he would pass his English class and graduate.

I asked the obvious question, “When is it due?’

“Tomorrow,” he replied.

That’s bad, but to make matters even worse he didn’t even have the book! We went to the library, it was checked out. We went to a few bookstores they were sold out. Things were not looking good when one of us had an idea - maybe it’s on video. The video store had one copy of ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ left. We rented it and headed home.

Okay, I’ll admit it starts a little slow but that’s no excuse. Twenty minutes into the movie, SOR was sound asleep. I woke him up and told him to stay awake.

A few minutes later not only was he asleep but he was snoring. I woke him again and reminded him that book report was needed to graduate.

The next thing I know, I woke up. The movie was over and SOR was asleep on the sofa. Covering him with a blanket, I shook my head and resided myself to the fact that summer school was in his future.

A few days later, we were talking about graduation. Finally, I said, “Well, you’ll be able to walk across the stage with your class but you won’t get your diploma until you make up that English class.”

SOR replied, “I don’t need to make it up. I got an A on that report.”

“How? How did you get A? You didn’t read the book, you didn’t watch the movie, how could you have gotten an A on that report?” I mean really, inquiring minds want to know.

It seems like SOR had copied almost word for word what was on the back of the video box. His book report started, ‘An epic tale of one man’s journey. . . .

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorit posts.

After my meeting tonight...
I will not let Shannel read this post.I do not want her to get any bright ideas...LOL

Oh yeah,I forgot SOR lives in the same house.

MY LUCK !

8:16 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

that is too funny, didn't they have cliff notes back then? my book reports always came from the wonderful invention of the yellow and black book of cliff notes. they were the greatest invention ever!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Such a great story! Our kids never cease to amaze us. I can remember sleepless nights with children and godchildren getting their papers ready at the last minute. I was the one sleepless and they always seemed to pull it off their own way after I had poured out my blood sweat and tears.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Wow - I wish I'd thought of that when I was in school. Wait, they didn't have VCR's back then...Sigh...I had to go to all the trouble to read the whole epic tale of one man's journey...etc.
I think I came out ahead anyway.
The one I really liked was Red Badge of Courage, even if it was told from the Reb side.

11:34 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Sounds like teacher was as anxious to get the year over with as SOR was. Reminds me of my oldest, turning in an "original" story. Her teacher never caught on either, until I spotted it as right out of Kipling's Jungle Book. Sometimes they're just too smart for their own good.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Looks like he knows how to get out of a tight fix!!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

ALL great things begin with a nap.

7:52 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Ha! I'm reading this as I'm avoiding writing a "report" that is due today.
Thanks for the good laugh, I'm off to write - I'm just going to check one more blog....

8:08 AM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

This is a funny story. After reading some of your other posts about yourself, I think SOR is a chip off the old block.

By the way, "Believe" is having a cyber B-Day party for Char. Wish Char a Happy Birthday for me. Lisa

4:22 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

you made me laugh... i'm glad i went in search of some good blog reads tonight. :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

He's lucky he got away with it. Most of the teachers around here are hip to that sort of thing, and more than one person has been caught out! Glad he didn't have to go to summer school, but probably not as glad as he was. *G*

11:36 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I love modern technology. Wish we had those video boxes when I was in high school.

Cliff's Notes just didn't cut the mustard at our school.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home