Monday, October 20, 2008

Farm Help

I recently returned from the Morrow farm. I went to help Cliff with the harvest. Fortunately for Cliff, the weather didn’t cooperate so I couldn’t break anything and we had to go to plan B. Plan B consisted of good meals, good stories, a good visit, and attending a meeting with Cliff. I have to admit I have a new respect for what Cliff does in his elected position. He is quite good at it. Cliff is the ONLY politician I like this year.

Plan B also consisted of getting some help from Cliff and Marilyn. They took me shopping in Omaha. I was looking for a new smoker. My old one died after 30 years or so. They helped me select a new one that was just slightly out my price range (I always want to pay less). The John Deere green smoker made its way back to Colorado.

Since its arrival some okay salmon was smoked and an exceptional beef brisket. The salmon would have been great except the smoke master (me) left the temperature higher than it should have been while playing with the digital controls. The salmon dried out more than I care for but still had a great flavor.

Thanks to the Morrow’s for yet another great visit.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Ralph,
Have a smokin' good time with that!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I'm pretty sure you couldn't have had as much fun as I did.
As visitors go, you are top shelf. I'm anxious to try your smoked salmon and brisket. Word has already spread to Nebraska about your expertise in brisket. (the beef type)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Be sure to perfect that salmon,I believe Cliff has been enjoying fame from that for years!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I know you had a good time with the Morrow's!! The food sounds great in that smoker!

It is too bad you couldn't break something at Cliff's though!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds like your visits to see Cliff get expensive. Are you sure that is a smoker? I thought smokers were round like a drum and had a handle on it. I guess you got a new fangled one. I am anxious to try some of your brisket.

Did Cliff ever get the harvesting done?

4:40 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Go to your room Rachel.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Are you related to Cliff or are you just a really nice guy and go to help him with his harvest? Would like to come for smoked brisket, that really sounds yummy right now!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Sorry to hear your smoker died. But I guess after 30 years of smoking, you have to expect at least some ill health...

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph ~ Never had anything smoked - well, that's not exactly true... there was that one time I forgot a wooden-handled, cast iron burger press, which was stored in the bottom of my oven. As the smoke alarm went off and the house filled with a subtle blend of hot metal and wood, I realized I'd be enjoying a smoked lemon pound cake... it was pretty bad!

Your smoked salmon and brisket sound pretty tasty. It must be quite an art... Deb

6:53 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Wow, I think your smoker is a lot fancier than Nellie's. Still working out some temperature control kinks on mine.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home