Monday, November 03, 2008

Cutting the Cheese

Before beginning, I need to ask Nora to relax, take a deep breath (sorry, I really needed to say that), and read the entire post.

Sprout’s Farmers Market recently opened near us. They have a decent bakery and deli along with a good selection of meat, fish and cheese. There produce is locally grown if possible. The origin of all the produce is clearly marked.

As part of the grand opening they had a nationally recognized cheese sculptor, Sarah the Cheese Lady, do a cheese carving.
We missed seeing the carving, but did see the final product. It was carved out of a 1,050-pound block of Wisconsin Mammoth Cheddar. That cheese is selling for $4.77 a pound, which means the carving block cost over $5,000 (retail).

Okay, back to Nora. I asked what was going to happen to the carving. They are going to removed the dried exterior and donate the remaining cheese to social service organizations.

11 Comments:

Blogger Marla said...

Aren't people amazing that they can create a great image in a block of cheese? I don't have any artistic talent!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, that's impressive and I'm sure Nora will be glad the cheese will go to help others!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will all get free cheese starting Wednesday. weeee..

10:03 PM  
Blogger bobbie said...

I'm glad it will be donated. Like Nora, I wish they would choose a different medium. But isn't it marvelous that some are so gifted?

4:49 AM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Ralph! That is amazing. I wish I had 1/10 of that talent. I am glad that it was donated. Nora will be very happy. Lisa

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What amazing artwork... wish I were as handy with my wood carving. Bet the scraps tasted a lot better than mine, too. Looks like a nice place to shop, especially with local produce. ~ Deb

7:08 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

That is an amazing sculpture. Too bad it's gone, but it went to a good cause.

11:27 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

First of all, I'm glad the cheese will be donated- that really is great.
Secondly, I LOVE CHEESE SCULPTURES! If I had one ounce of artistic ability I'd give Sarah the Cheese Lady a run for her money.

Thanks for posting the picture.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Ralph, I didn't read the whole think but you are lucky to be able to write about Nora cutting cheese. She would never read my blog again if I did that to her!

Our Kroger has those same potatoes. Houston people can get two for $2.29 or that sack of ten pounds for $5.99. Of course the five pound one like your is the same, $1.79.

Did you ever want to be riding on a tire during winter in South Dakota? You have to watch comes out in your blog, you might be harboring thoughts like being the stud or cutting cheese. Mrs. Jim censors all my posts so that I don't make those breakouts.

Thanks for checking on me, I am trying to catch up with the blogging. You notice I post faster than I read.
..

9:13 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Wow! You Coloradans really know how to cut the cheese.
We Arkansans are not the experts that you are at cutting the cheese.
Maybe you can send some people to us who can show us how to cut the cheese with style.

:-)

:-)

:-)

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cheese artist! Cool and she is talented!
I'm happy to read about the donation part.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home