Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Grouchy

When the alarm went off this morning, I was grouchy. I had to get back to ‘real life’.

Char and I had spent the last few days celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. I’ve aged a little since we were married, Char is as cute as ever. Yesterday, the 11th, was the official day. We spent the day shopping (yes, shopping). I got Char a couple of presents because the minute I saw them they represented certain things about our thirty years together. That and the fact, she deserves them and a lot more for putting up with me throughout the years.

Our trip started Saturday when I met Char in Glenwood Springs. She was there on a school trip. We took the afternoon and drove around exploring the sights and looking at places Char had spent time at as a kid. One of our stops was the town of Carbondale where I took this picture of Mt. Sopris.

On Sunday, we started to Palisade. Fifteen miles from our destination, we decided to take a 400-mile detour. We wanted to go over Grand Mesa. Before long, we were on another detour to the town of Collbran to see the Women’s Veteran Memorial. This picture was taken on the road to Collbran.

This is the view at the top of Grand Mesa. It doesn’t do justice to the majestic view you have up there. Grand Mesa is known as the 'largest flattop mountain in the world'. Five drainages along the mesa provide water for orchards, vineyards, farms, ranches, and towns throughout western Colorado.
This picture was taken outside of Cedaredge where we had lunch at the Ole Bakery Cafe.

From there we continued taking a detour here and there until we reached Palisade. Palisade had several bed and breakfast spots but never a hotel until September of this year, that’s when the Wine Country Inn opened. It’s a great hotel and Char was really happy about the off season rate of $89 a night, especially after hearing me say (repeatedly) the days of $89 rooms were gone forever. The view from our room overlooked one of the many vineyards in the area.
Yes, we did visit some of the vineyards and tasting rooms. We also purchased several bottles of wine. Some will be shared with family and friends.
Judging from the sign, they knew I was coming. Actually, I was in a great mood - at least until the alarm went off this morning and snapped me back to ‘real life’. But thinking about it, the past thirty years were real life.

19 Comments:

Blogger Marla said...

Sounds you had a really great time. Congrats on your years of marriage Nice photos of your trip!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

We all know Char deserves a medal. Congrats on 30 years!!!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Anniversary congratulations to the both of you. It looks like you had a wonderful celebration. I pray you have many-many more.
The pictures are wonderful.

9:09 PM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Congratulations, Char and Ralph!

Your photos are really wonderful. It is a beautiful part of the world too. Glad you had such a great time.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

I am so happy that you both had such a wonderful time ! I have to agree with Jerry, Char does deserve a gold medal ! Let me tell ya I know this for a fact !

Happy 30th Anniversary from all of us in the land of Normal.

PS Raplh
"Bow chicka bow wow"....LOL

9:06 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Ralph, congradulations on your thirty years of marriage....may you have many more. I think you and Char look pretty good right now. Do you have a picture of the two of you 30 years ago?

I absolutely LOVE Colorado. When TF and I first got married we would go camping up in the mountains near Pagosa Springs and I fell in love with the beauty of the area. We would go the last week of September and the first week of October just to see the fall colors. I really like watching the golden Aspen leaves shimmer in the breeze, so beautiful. We have traveled all over Colorado and have enjoyed every minute of it. Our daughter lived ourside of Denver in NorthGlenn, for two years, when she was first married. She, her husband and our two grandkids live down here in Houston now and I can properly spoil the kids......I sure do love Colorado......So glad that you and Char had a good time together on your weekend away.

Yes, back to reality.....

1:13 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ There are some beautiful shots here... but none quite as nice as the one of you and Char. CONGRATULATIONS on getting Char to stick around with you for 30 years. Who knew she was such a STRONG woman!? ^te he^ ~ jb///

6:46 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Congratulations to you and Char on your anniversary!! Wow, the pictures are great!! Awesome views!

Looks like that town knew you were coming all right!! Heehee

8:39 PM  
Blogger Adi said...

Congratulations! I was going to tell you that I could guess Char was late for school the next day.
Then I read the last bit ;-)

She does deserve a trip like that, I am glad you took her shopping (or did she take you?).
..
Jim says hi and congrats also.
..

8:50 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

My husband has a hat that says: "I didn't wake up grouchy this morning.....I let her sleep."

Happy anniversary you guys.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 30th! Truly enjoyed the great photos from your scenic sojourn. So interesting to view anything west of the east coast. What a beautiful area! /Deb

11:32 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Congratulations Ralph and Char. You're a great example and I've enjoyed reading your blog these past couple of years. Neat couple!

And great photos. Make me dream a lot.

Our anniversary is tomorrow (Saturday). We were married one week before JFK was assassinated.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yeah! What Adi said.

Congrats.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Congratulations to you and Char! This looks like an amazing trip. I especially love the photo taken at Cedaredge. Gorgeous!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Congratulations Ralph and Char, the photos are great and the trip sounded great too.

2:48 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Congratulations!
And thanks for letting us share your trip! What beauty!

11:11 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Wow! Happy Anniversary. I'm glad you two got to get away.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Happy 30th anniversary!!!!
Char sure it just as cute as ever, and she's mighty pretty too, also.
You make a fine couple!
What terrific photos!
The view from the top of Grand Mesa is divine.
I wish you many more wonderful years together.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Blessings to you & Char as you begin your 31st year together!

I've noticed that you & Char, Paul and his First Wife and Randy & I all have anniversaries within a week of each other. I think Cliff should throw us all a big anniversary party next year, don't you?

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home