Monday, March 30, 2009

The Great Blizzard of '09

I imagine most of you heard about the blizzard Denver had last week. Char and I survived it okay. It was a heavy, wet snow with strong winds that created large drifts.

While the sky is blue in this picture, the wind was blowing between 50 and 60 MPH making visibility difficult. If you had to venture out it was best to go in a group for safety purposes.



Here Char is standing defiantly on top one of the drifts. A little drift is not going to stop her.
Road conditions deteriorated quickly and most streets were impassable within hours. Fortunately, a lot of businesses and schools shut down early. Even so, a 30-minute drive took about two hours.


I have to admit I was happy with the way the van performed. We didn’t slip once.

Okay, now the truth. Char and I were out of town during the blizzard. We were at White Sands National Monument in Alamogordo, New Mexico. That’s where all the pictures above were taken. The sand is a brilliant white and looks so much like snow you think you should be cold. Daytime temperatures ranged from 50 to the mid 70’s. The wind did blow and with a cold front approaching it felt was rather cool. The coats stopped the wind and almost prevented you getting sand where you didn’t want it.

While Denver was having the blizzard, Char and I were walking on the sand. Char did tell me a few times that I shouldn’t look at the outside temperature gauge, laugh, and say, “So, I wonder how everyone is doing in Denver?”

I'll write about the rest of the trip in another post.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lanny said...

I'm thinking at this point some folks would rather have some sand in uncomfortable places than the snow. I know I would and we didn't have a blizzard!

That sand is beautiful and amazing.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well Ralph, I can say I didn't bite on this one. Our phone calls pretty well spoiled the surprise. I'm glad you guys didn't have as much snow as NM has white sand. Good writing to the max. Thanks.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Peruby said...

I bit. I was duped until I read it was sand. Maybe I'm not awake yet. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

You had me going there for a while, Ralph. But it did occur to me that your footprints were not that deep. Nice photos, though.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

I have a funny feeling that the rest of the story (vacation) just get's better.

GREST SHOTS !

7:44 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You fooled me Ralph! That sure is pretty. I want to go there and see all that white sand!

I'm glad you had a good trip and I'm looking forward to the rest of the story!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well, you had me fooled!

8:32 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I kept thinking of those ripples in the "snow" - I never saw that before... but what do I know - we so seldom see snow... maybe I just forgot what it was like.
I must say, that is the whitest sand I have ever seen.
Have you ever seen black sand? There is black sand on Montserrat in the West Indies. That took getting used to!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

Welcome back to the cold, Ralph. Wasn't it nice here? I have a tee time Friday again, then next Wednesday, etc. We are in the 70's mostly in the day times.
You could retire here, kids are gone and we have more Chicago flights than Denver. Our cost of living is about 20% less too!

Jim said that Car and Driver magazine reported that Obama has ordered Chevrolet and Dodge out of NASCAR if they wanted to keep their federal funds.
I know you can find out if this is true.
..

7:23 PM  
Blogger golddog said...

Ralph, I wish I'd remembered to tell you to bring your sand wedge and a bucket of balls when you mentioned you were going to White Sands.

Great place to practice your recovery from the bunkers.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

You had me fooled...

10:07 PM  
Blogger bobbie said...

You had me going too. It sure looks like snow. Glad you missed the blizzard!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Char's feet gave it away - ya gotta be wearin' BOOTS in a snowdrift!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home