Friday, April 10, 2009

Tuckered Out

We recently had visitors. DOR (Daughter Of Ralph) and SILOR (Son In Law Of Ralph) came out for a visit over Spring break. While the weather in the mountains prevented us from going with our original plan, we found enough activities to keep us busy.

In order to get through the days activities a hearty breakfast is required. DOR and SILOR made us breakfast every morning. We had breakfast burritos one morning and Swedish pancakes several times - I kept requesting them. They were served with butter, powdered sugar, and lingonberries.

But, there was drama during the making of breakfast. I casually asked DOR if she really wanted a burner as hot as she had it. That’s when she called me a control freak and banned me from the kitchen. Evidently, she did. Breakfast came out great.

We played pool several times. SILOR and I got in a few warm up games before inviting Char and DOR to join us. It was DOR and SILOR against Char and I. Char and I won (I think).

We also went bowling a number of times. DOR and SILOR have joined a league and have been getting in more practice than Char and I. Up until their visit, I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve been bowling. To my credit, I did all right. I only threw the ball backwards towards everyone once.

Char has better form and style than I do, but it’s been years since she bowled. Even with that extended absence, she did well. There was even talk about buying our own bowling shoes and joining a league. We’ll see how that plays out. We may have to go a time or two more before making the investment.

SILOR and I played a couple rounds of golf while DOR and Char had a movie day. As much as it pains me to say it, SILOR did beat me – by one stroke. I was happy being able to play and pleased with my game mainly because I haven’t played since last August.

Then early one morning, I took them to the airport and they headed back home. It was fun to see them and to spend a few days playing with them but. . . . . they really tuckered me out.

Thanks for the visit.

17 Comments:

Anonymous DOR said...

It was fun. Thanks for having us.

5:48 PM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I'll bet those visits are too few and far between. I know mine, from DOB and SILOB are.

Backwards, towards them? Honest? Wow!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Bobbie
Yep. Backwards right towards them. Remember anyone can roll a ball forward. It takes really talent to do it behind your back.
Ralph

6:17 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

DOR and SILOR can come and make breakfast at my house any time! YUM! Swedish pancakes are the best. I'll even supply the lingonberries.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

There's not much finer than having time with family. It looks like you put a LOT into those few days.
No wonder you are tuckered out!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

First you got kicked out of the kitchen. Next you only "think" you won at pool. Bowling had you rolling the ball backward, as if that was okay. You lost at golf but had to emphasize "by one stroke" as if that makes it less a loss. Wouldn't you have liked to be a little birdie with the kids on their way home as they told the stories their way? I can only base this judgement on what my chidren would do. Even at that, I miss them awful when they go.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I would definately say that Char has better "form" than you do...She looks great for her age...I wish I could say the same thing about me..lol.

I'm glad that you all had so much fun together...I bet those young ones gave you a run for the money...

Hope you and Char have a Happy Easter.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous DOR said...

Grannie Annie seemed to have caught the truth that was hidden throughout the post. All the things she is thinking are correct

5:28 PM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

WOW Ralph how did you make into the photo.... !

Who took the snap shot of the four of you at the bowling alley ?

Looks like you all had fun !

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Ralph! You and Char had a wonderful visit from DOR & SILOR. Her pancakes look yummy.
If I ever go bowling with you, remind me not to stand or sit behind you bowling:o)
Happy Easter to you and your family. Lisa

5:17 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

That looks like my kind of a week. There's somethings special about the freedom to go out and goof off with your adult kids, isn't there? Good for all of you. Thanks for warning us about you bowling ability.

We had our daughter and her family over for Easter dinner. After we ate, we let them all fall asleep in front of the Master's Golf Tournament.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

What a lovely time you had with family! Those visits must be very precious indeed!

We love Swedish pancakes, had them this morning for Easter breakfast!

Your bowling sounds a bit like my first go at horseshoes. Walked up at the end of a game, Dirt asked if I wanted to try, told everyone I'd never thrown a horseshoe before. The first one was a long spinning ringer, and everyone groaned, the next one went straight up, "heads!"

Have a great restful week!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

How much fun you had!! I haven't been bowling in ages, and now you have made me want to go.

The pancakes look great and sound great but this is the first time I ever heard of a lingonberry.

Such fun times with family Ralph!! It's all great!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ Hey I recognize two of the four world class bowlers here! I hope you all had a GREAT time and that your Easter was wonderful! ~ jb///

7:28 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Glad you had that good company, Ralph! Isn't it nice to get old and the young folks some see you instead of you traveling all over the globe to see the kids?

I would mention one thing. The way Char is ending up I gather she may be left handed? If she is the other foot should be up and sliding into the fowl line as the ball is released. She has the right foot forward (but her left arm is in the release position)?
I know, "Char has better form and style" so I don't want to be very critical. :-)
..

9:19 PM  
Blogger golddog said...

Ralph, let me know if you decide to bowl. I've shoes and a bowling ball around here I never use.

Nice to see SILOR and DOR again, glad everyone's well.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I guess that proves that kids keep on tuckering us out every after they're all grown up and married.
Sounds like a fun time!
I don't see any bumper guards on those lanes to prevent gutter balls. You guys must REALLY be good!
Those pancakes look yummy!!!!!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home