Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pest Alert

To the extent possible, I believe in the philosophy ‘live and let live”. However, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Wasps were building a hive in my storage shed. Normally that wouldn’t have been a big deal except it was directly above the lawn mower. At first, I would pull the mower out and a wasp or two would fly around – no worries. But, the hive kept getting bigger and the number of wasps kept increasing. Awhile back, I took the lawn mower out and it looked like a scene from the movie, ‘The Killer Bees’.

I went to the hardware store and bought some wasp and hornet spray. The store advertising said, “kills on contact” and it was on sale.

Returning home, I carefully opened the shed door so as not to disturb the killer wasps and got within a foot of the hive. I pushed the button on the top of the can and everything became a blur. Chemical was going everywhere. The shed was coated with chemical, the lawn mower was drenched, and I was soaked. Spinning around, I wiped off my glasses and looked at the can. There in big bold letters were the words, “Up to 27 feet Jet Spray”.

I turned back and watched as numerous wasps drop from the hive. The pile just kept getting taller as the body count increased. I don’t know if the chemical killed them on contact or if the pressure of the spray crushed their little bodies.

I’m glad I bought the non-staining formula.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I was going to tell you that you don't have to get very close to kill them. Just point, push, and stream like a fire hose!
The chemical kills. You can even squirt one if it takes after you and knock it down in flight like you are the Red Baron.
..

8:00 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

I envisioned you doing that. When you got to the jet spray part, it made me chuckle rather loudly.
I have to stay away from those things, as I get an alergic reaction to bee/wasp stings.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Peruby said...

Yep. I pulverized a hive on my front porch a couple months back. Blew that sucker right off the wall of my house.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Glad you didn't drop along with the wasps!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You accompolished your task.. Good job.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I guess it doesn't matter much whether you poisoned 'em or crushed 'em Ralph, as long as they are gone.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think you did right by getting close. That way there is no danger of missing!

I was afraid your story might have a different ending and when you got all close like that the spray went everywhere but on the wasp nest. Now that would have been interesting!!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I remember doing that once. Since then, I usually read the label first.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

I would have loved to have seen this.
This did bring back a memory of my wasp encounter. My house is total propane. There is a 100 lb. tank next to my house. One day I noticed a wasp flying in and out of the tank. Taking a peek inside, they were building a nice little hive. Armed with a can of Raid and garden hose, I took charge. Or should I say they did. What a sight that was. Lisa

11:07 AM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

This was just as funny as listing to you with a touch of fear in your voice the day it happened.

GREAT POST !

11:54 AM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Huh, thought you were the label reading type?

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home