Monday, August 31, 2009

Night Time Conversations

T’was the middle of the night and all through the house, not a creature was stirring. . .

. . . at least until there was an extremely loud siren sound followed by three equally loud beeps. Startled Char was sitting up in bed. I had hopped out of bed and was standing there rapidly looking from my left to right wondering what in the world was going on. There it was again a loud siren sound followed by three loud beeps. I was in my defensive mode, ready to protect Char and the house. My defensive mode was about all I was in, my clothes laid crumpled on the floor.

Then the siren started again followed by an equally loud voice in the house, “Vic? Vic? Are you there? Vic? Is everything alright?” That’s when I realized it was the life alert system. Vic, Char’s dad, was having health issues so he was staying with us. Since he was home alone much of the day Char had him sign up for life alert. I headed downstairs to answer the call, but the siren sound with the beeps went off again followed by, “Vic? Vic? Are you there?”

I got to the machine and realized I didn’t know what to do. So, I just started talking, “Hello? Hello?

The life alert lady came on the line in the same loud voice, “Vic are you alright? Your alarm went off. Do you need help?”

Realizing I didn’t know where the volume control was I told her Vic was asleep upstairs. That’s when the conversation took a twist you’re just not ready for at 2:30 in the morning.

“Who are you?”

“I’m his son in law.”

“Is he there?”

“I just told you he’s asleep upstairs.”

“Is he alright?”

“He’s asleep.”

“Are you sure?”

“Pretty sure.”

“Can you check on him?”

Somewhere during the conversation, Char had come downstairs. She was talking with the life alert lady as I ran upstairs to check on Vic. Bursting into his room, there he was sleeping like a baby with the life alert button around his neck. I woke him and told him he had rolled over on the button and called the people at life alert.

He said he was sorry, removed the alert button, laid it on the nightstand then asked if he needed to call them. I told him we would take care of it.

I could overhear Char explaining what had happened. Then the following conversation ensued.

“Did you talk to him?” Yes.

“Was he coherent?” Yes.

“Did he appear to be okay?” Yes.

Then the life alert lady made the comment, “Okay, have a nice evening.” I remember thinking - Have a nice evening? Have a nice evening? It’s 2:30 in the morning!

Before leaving the room, I glanced back at Vic. He had rolled over and was heading back to sleep, but he did take the time to say, “You sure don’t sleep in much.”

Char and I climbed back into bed. I was wide-awake, my heart was racing, and my defensive mode was still on high alert. Char, well, she laid there giggling.

At least Vic was getting a good night sleep.

13 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Great story Ralph. I know what you mean. Have a good evening. Yeah right. As soon as my heart rate returns to normal.
Well written my boy and oh so entertaining.
He was right. YOu should try to sleep in a bit more.

6:30 PM  
Blogger bobbie said...

What an experience! She should have been asking if YOU were OK, once she learned that Vic was fine.

3:13 AM  
Blogger Peruby said...

Talk about things that go bump in the night... I think they just invested in their job security for the future. What are they doing, shocking the hearts of the younger crew so they will need life alert, too?

5:09 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

That sure must have been a "heart starter or stopper" Ralph, glad it turned out OK in the end.

1:05 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ Vic must be cracking up at YOUR lack of sleep! I hope that everyone is resting well NOW! ~ jb///
PS I loved Cliff's latest post about the wedding! The two of you crack me up!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Funny!!
I'm glad Vic was okay, and I'm cracking up thinking about the whole thing. I can just see you lying there WIDE awake for some time, waiting for your heart rate to go back to normal.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

How funny! Glad that Vic was okay, and at least you know that the people at Life Alert take their job seriously. Loved Vic's comment before he fell back asleep! *G*

6:44 AM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

Great story.... I thought I was going to hear about the weather radio. That is how that story would go as well, all the way down to the laughing in the bedroom.

GREAT POST !

8:24 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Wonderful story about a disturbing night. You had better hurry into retirement and start a new career of writing, you'd soon have best sellers!

I do have an answer for her comment of 'have a good evening.'
Of course, it is evening over there in India where she and all the other U.S. contractors live.
..

9:49 AM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

“You sure don’t sleep in much.”

Sounds like something my Dad would say. Good story, Ralph!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Very funny!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

That would have scared anyone Ralph! I'm glad it all turned out well!

8:07 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I've always wondered if those alert things work - glad to know they do!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home