Monday, August 08, 2005

Almost Perfect Gravy

Ah, Sunday. Time for an almost perfect home cooked meal.

The neighbors helped us out on a little project so we decided we should invite them over for dinner. I had the chicken slow roasting in the Dutch Oven – using Cliff’s famous recipe of course. Ten pounds of potatoes were peeled and boiling gentle in the pot just waiting to be mashed. The salad, well . . . the salad was a work of art. Not only was it quite colorful but also given the time of year it was sure to be full of flavor. It was time to turn my attention to the gravy.

Now you need to understand I have knocked over several open boxes of stuff in the pantry and have started putting many items in containers – the ones with the snap on lids. I was getting everything out to make the perfect gravy to go with the perfect chicken and the perfect potatoes.

But, other things were vying for my attention. My wife and neighbor were out completing the project they had been helping us with. I was trying to watch them so I could time the meal to be done at about the same time they were. So, when I reached into the cupboard and took out the cornstarch, used to thicken the gravy, it only had a portion of my undivided attention. I started making the gravy while trying to keep an eye on my wife and where she was on her project and also under a little more pressure than normal because I knew my neighbor likes gravy.

I noticed the gravy was not thickening up as it usually does. No need to worry I thought there is just more liquid so I’ll add more cornstarch. Nothing. I added more cornstarch. Okay, it looked a little thicker but still pretty thin. More corn starch. Nice color but it’s still to thin.

Suddenly it dawned on me. I had put more than a cup of powdered sugar into my gravy mix. I had reached right past the cornstarch and grapped the powdered sugar.

No body said anything about the gravy or, in this case, the lack of it. But, had we had ice cream . . . I had a pretty sweet topping ready.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Would that be a 'Hot Chicken Gravy Sundae'?? What a great story Ralph!!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

So, will you share Cliff's perfect chicken recipe or is it a secret?????

9:04 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Sounds like something I would do! *LOL* Sounds like everything else was wonderful, though. :0)

1:16 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

here i am reading and becoming hungrier by the second imagining your superb cooking, not to mention that you, CLiffers, Rho & other commenters have been into BBQ food posts, when wham, you "sweetly" shared another great slice of life. I bet you managed to still make that gravy delectable.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rhodent - the recipe is pretty simple. Salt and pepper the chicken and place it in a Dutch oven, breast side down, place a half an apple and half of an onion in the cavity, with no liquid. Cook three hours at 250 degrees. Credit for the recipe goes to Cliff that is where I got it.

GEL - I made a little gravy to keep the neighbor happy. Don't know how good it was though. By the time I quite laughing about the powdered sugar it was gone.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Improvising. Isn't that the key to being a good cook? A shot in the foot always makes for a great story later. Ha!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Years ago, I had chocolate gravy. Sounds like you were on your way to making something similar to that. Actually, I'm just being nice... you really messed it up BADLY!
I look forward to reading more of your blog. Any friend of Cliff's is a friend of mine!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph, I linked to this story on my latest blog entry. Hope you don't mind.

12:22 AM  
Blogger taza said...

Holy Sweet Chicken Juice, Batman!
:)

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool you saved the day in a pinch...., quick thinking!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home