Friday, January 20, 2006

Flat Tires

I stopped and changed a flat tire for a lady on the interstate earlier this week. While taking off the third or fourth lug nut, I started chuckling. This lady didn’t know me so I am sure she was having second thoughts. I mean here is a stranger, with a tire iron in his hand, laughing. I spoke up and told her I was thinking about my last flat tire.

My last flat tire happened in a cornfield in Nebraska. I told her I was trying to help a friend harvest corn. My task was to drive the tractor that pulled the corn trailer. I would drive next to the combine and when the trailer was full go and unloaded it into a semi truck.

On one trip, I noticed the tractor was moving rather slowly so I shifted to a lower gear. It helped a little but not that much so I shifted down once more. It was better but not great. It was about this time I noticed the tractor was leaning. It wasn't bad but it was a lean I hadn't experienced before. I thought it must have been the field; we had only been in this particular field a short time. That is also when I glanced in the mirror and noticed the combine racing across the field trying to catch me. I stopped, got out and saw this.

I told her, “Now, these are not normal tires. These are thirty-two ply airplane tires. Airplanes take off and land on these tires. The only time they go flat is when - well . . . when I get around them”

Now she was laughing. The tire was changed and everything was put away when she grabbed my hand and shook it rather enthusiastically while thanking me. As she opened her car door, she turned and said, “I don’t which I’m most thankful for – you changing the tire or the entertainment!” And with that, she was on her way down the interstate.

I don’t remember that day and that flat tire being nearly as funny. I’m sure Cliff didn’t either.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

I know how she feels Ralph. When you come to help I never know if I'm thankful for the help or the entertainment. Both I guess.

Not to worry about the tire. I had my chance to figure out the problem before it happened and didn't catch on in time. It was nothing $500 wouldn't remedy.
Harvest is usually in full swing the 1st thru 3rd weeks of October. I can't remember if I answered that. See you then,,maybe.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ralph, how sweet of you to change her tire and entertain her all at the same time!! If I ever have car problems I will be praying that someone as nice as you would stop to help.

Now I doubt that that flat in Nebraska was your fault at all. It was just one of those things and you just happened to be driving the tractor when it happened.
I'm glad it brings a chuckle now!!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I can't relate to this.
We don't have flat tires in Texas.
And Nebraska was sooooo long ago I can't remember any flat tires there either. [Well, maybe a bicycle flat.]

9:55 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

But it is funny...now

11:43 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I can just picture you riding that tractor, oblivious to what was going on, while Cliff is frantically chasing you down! Sounds like something I would do. Perhaps that's why they don't let me drive tractors... *G*

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story reminds me of the time I had a flat tire and a gentleman stopped to help me. We had to get out the info book to find where Ford had hidden the jack and tire iron. As I was thanking him he said, "No, thank you. My wife just bought a car exactly like this and if she has a flat tire I can really impress her by knowing where everything is."

2:15 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

It was only flat on the bottom....
:-)

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
I think you and I are about the same caliber of farm "help". Dad was glad when I went off to college, so that they could recoup some of the repair debt.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

KNowing some background on you and Cliff makes this even funnier! I can picture the look on Cliff's face while trying to catch up to you!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home