Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lessons in the Stairwell

The lesson was simple yet quite complex – sometime I really needed to stop and take a few minutes to appreciate what I have.

Yesterday was our anniversary. A special day for any married coupled. Char and I went to a movie, had lunch and were going to do some shopping. We would then return home and I would cook dinner.

During the shopping phase Char must have taken pity on me and declared the mall to crowd and she would go to different stores by herself. I’d like to say I was upset – but I wasn’t. She dropped me off at the house around 4:30 and I began dinner.

On one of my many trips up the stairs, I noticed a picture hanging on the wall. It was Char and I standing at the alter seconds after we were married. I studied it closely then went and looked in the mirror. I don’t have nearly the amount of hair I had back then, I have “added a few pounds” and I have taken on the look of “wisdom beyond my years”.

I went back and looked at the picture again. Char looks the same! She looks exactly like she did the day we were married. Then to top it all off I know for a fact she can still fit into her wedding dress.

I looked at other pictures on the wall. There were several relatives we have laid to rest. There were pictures of our kids when they were young and now as adults. There were pictures of some of the things we had done together.

Suddenly I had a lump in my throat. I took it as God’s way of saying - she puts up with a lot being married to you, make sure this meal is really good.

I better go baste the Cornish game hens.

12 Comments:

Blogger 1 plus twins said...

well i hope you had a wonderful dinner and a happy anniversary!!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she sorta looks like she used to
she sorta can fit into the wedding dress

just sorta gotten him broken in wouldn't want to trade him in for another model.

the meal was way better than sorta good it was EXCELLENT!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ralph, you are blessed indeed and the best part is that you know it!!

Happy belated anniversary wishes. Having a man cook a good meal for you is a wonderful treat!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
Happy anniversary!
..
Mrs. Jim's first meal that she cooked for me was Cornish Hen and all the fix'ns.

.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Congratulations to you both. What a beautiful and loving tribute to your life together!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yep, I don't know how you did it, but you both married up.
It was fortunate for you Ralph that you married a D.I. to help keep you in line. And Char was fortunate she married you just for the entertainment.
Congrats to a great couple!!!

4:11 AM  
Blogger EV said...

Happy anniversary! A wonderful sentiment, Ralph.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Happy anniversary and many blessings.

Ours is the 15th. We get to have a hectic week, so we celebrated last Saturday evening. At a Chinese restaurant. You had the better idea.

6:46 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Happy Anniversary,
You two are setting a great example for the rest of us.
Know any nice boys for me?
Nora

6:52 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Good Job Ralph.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Ralph and Char!

And many more!

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last anonymous was me.

Congats again!

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home