Saturday, December 02, 2006

Little Things

When my cell phone rang at 6:40 in the morning, I didn’t think much about it. It happens quite a bit. But, it was DOR (Daughter of Ralph) and at that hour of the day, it was unusual. Our conversation went like this:

DOR: Dad, I thought I’d call and let you know I miss you.
Ralph: I miss you too Tiff.
DOR: No, Dad, I REALLY miss you. It snowed here at last night and left a lot of ice of the windshield. This morning it took me a long time to scrap it all off and I was in my teacher clothes. I got thinking about all the mornings when I was home you scraped my car windows for me.

It was December 1st, when Tiffany called. The beginning of the most commercialized month of the year. Once again, I realized that with all the hype to get “the perfect gift” and “too show someone you care” it is not the size of the package or the dollar value that matters. Most often, it is those “cups of cold water” that will be remembered.

Thanks for the phone call Tiff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Ah, that is sweet Ralph. You are so right though. Those little things mean the most when it's all said and done! Great post!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What a wonderful way to start your day!

2:08 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Nothing says I Love You like a auto-car starter Dad.
Then she would call you everyday of the winter to tell you she kind of misses you.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home