Thursday, December 07, 2006

What Have You Done

Yesterdays post was about how rude many people are at Christmas time. But on the other hand, it also brings out the best in people. This happened today.

When I arrived at the coffee shop for a meeting, my cell phone rang. It was the person I was to meet; she would be a few minutes late. Not a big deal, I went inside got a cup of coffee and sat down. A few minutes later one of the young ladies who worked there walked up and said,” Sir, there is no good way to ask this but are you over 55?” I told her I wasn’t but was pretty close. She thanked me and started to walk away. Okay, here is where curiosity kicks in.

“Excuse me,” I said “but why did you want to know that?”

She asked me if I had the seen the two boys who had just left. I said I glanced at them but that was it. As it turns out those two boys were both thirteen (not your typical age for doing good deeds). They had been collecting aluminum cans since Labor Day with the purpose of doing something at Christmas. What they did was go into this coffee shop and purchased twenty $10 gift cards. They asked the manager to hand them out to any senior citizen in the store and to any senior citizen that came in until they were gone. They also said they didn’t want anyone to know who they were.

A couple of college students at the next table joined in our conversation. They were critical of the two kids – why didn’t they take the money to a homeless shelter, people in this coffee shop didn’t need gift certificates, why didn’t they donate it to a church?

The lady who worked there was also a college student and to her credit she set the record straight. She looked at those two college guys and said, “What have you done for others?” You could have heard a pin drop.

You won’t hear that story about teenagers on the news tonight. Maybe we should.

8 Comments:

Blogger Miki said...

WOW! Sometimes kids just amaze you! My thirteen year old does once in a while, he is basically a good boy, but with the sense of a thirteen year old! Those kids are really nice kids, passing on some kindness. Nice story Ralph! Let me know how the cookies turn out; if you want more versions of them, there are a couple more, but I didn't try them.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Those kids knew your coffee shop was tightwad in nature or it would have given the seniors free coffee.
I have three places for free coffee, Brookshire brothers and Krogers grocers and Whataburger fast food. Two years ago Safeway cut theirs out, I haven't been back since!
They are my favorite places for groceries and fast food.

Anyway, then those kids could have some other poor folks.

A good post, makes us think, some teenagers are really good!
..

5:49 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Now that's a great Christmas story Ralph!! Doing good deeds without wanting their names mentioned! A couple of great kids there!!

I knew there was nice folks out there. Doesn't it just warm your heart? :)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

For once you weren't too old. Great story Ralph.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What a wonderful story, and hurray for the lady who worked there!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that was a terrific story!

6:34 PM  
Blogger EV said...

Your tale brings to mind the disciple scolding the woman for wasting expensive perfume on Jesus - telling her it would have been better spent on the poor. He was set straight, too.

You should have lied. You could have gotten some free coffee, Ralph! j/k ;)

12:00 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I think it is a great idea. And I work for an agency that feeds hungry people. Of course the shelters can always use the money, but I think that random acts of kindness feed the soul.
And who knows what it will inspire someone else to do.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home