Thursday, November 08, 2007

I Caved

Maybe you haven’t noticed but there is a subtle transition taking place on the food network. The titles of the dishes they are making are becoming longer and longer. In some cases, it takes longer to say the name than it does to prepare the meal.

Instead of saying “Fish and Salad”, they describe it as “Crispy Pan Seared Florida Snapper with Passion Fruit Cream and Florida Citrus and Shaved Fennel Salad, Garnished with Sautéed Florida Gulf Shrimp and Spicy Green Mango Jam.”

Instead of “Chicken with Gravy”, they declare it “Chicken Marvalasala and Pappardelle with Rosemary Gravy.”

No longer can we just have “Roasted Chicken” oh no, we have to have “Herb-Stuffed Roasted Chicken with Reduced Pan Gravy, and Herbed Rice Pilaf with Peas.”

I thought about resisting this new trend but a few days ago, I cooked a chicken and well. . . I caved. (Imagine a picture here.) I meant to take a picture when the chicken came out of the oven but it smelled good, and looked even better. Instead of taking a picture, I ripped off a wing and began to eat. I was munching on the wing when I realized I had forgotten the picture. I looked at the mutilated chicken and decided to forego the picture, I mean – well, presentation is everything.

Then it came time to name this award-winning dish. I did what the big boys are doing. It’s called “Dutch Oven Roasted Butter Basted Butt Rubbed Wingless Chicken.”

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul Nichols said...

That sounds perfect. Save me a tasty thigh.

I'm going to post a new-found recipe that I accidentally discovered right here in my own home. Coupla posts to go first, but you've given me a good idea for naming it. Stay tuned.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

That sounds delicious, except perhaps for the butt-rubbed part. *G*

8:24 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Nothing is simple anymore. Not only dishes job titles are going the same way...lol
I read in George Carlin's book that he would memorize the menu and order according to the description and that cracked me up. Something like I will have the succulent roasted to perfection...tee hee...
Have a wonderful weekend!
*^_^
(=':'=) huggles
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

8:59 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Very funny Ralph!
I guess I am stuck in my ways because I'ts still roasted chicken & Rice to me. I think all the food network programs are trying to make something complicated out of what is actually very simple.
I just wash my chicken plop it in a pan and shove it in the oven. Never have added all that other stuff because I think it's pretty darn good just as it it. HUunger is the best appetizer!
I have often thought the food network needs to get an older cook on who can show the world just how simple cooking actually is. So many people see the Iron Chef doing weird things to food that I think they just plain feel intimidated. No wonder the fast food places are doing such a big business.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I can see it all now. Stay tuned for Chef Ralph. The butt rub must be going well.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

How fast can you make and ship that to me? Sounds YUMMY! AND, I still need to get me some of that BUTT Rub. I bet my hubby would love some BUTT Rob.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home