Thursday, October 18, 2007

Interstate Popcorn

For me it started years and years ago with a young girl standing on the porch waving a box of thin mint cookies wildly in the air while talking a hundred miles a minute. I thought if I bought a box of cookies it might calm her down.

Ever since then these young entrepreneurs have shown up with cookies, popcorns, tire gauges, coupon books, bastings brushes, magazines, Christmas ornaments, and frozen pastries to name a few of the items they are selling for one fund raisers for another.

Have you ever noticed how polite they are compared to the “adult” sales people in store? Most of the young ones say ‘thank you’ even if you don’t buy something (which for me, is rare).

Another thing, at least around our neighborhood, most of the kids know I’m a pretty easy mark. They know if I don’t buy right away I’ll cave when they start the high-pressure sales tactics.

Well, word is getting out. Just a few days ago, I bought popcorn from a young friend of mine. Not a big deal except he’s a thousand miles away. The sales call went like this:

Me: So, how are you doing?
Young Entrepreneur: Fine.
Me: I hear your selling popcorn.
Young Entrepreneur: Yeah.
Me: So what’s your favorite kind?
Young Entrepreneur: I really like Mud Puddles.
Me: Okay, here’s the deal. I’ll buy a tin of Mud Puddles. You keep the popcorn and I’ll send you a check. Does that sound okay?
Young Entrepreneur: Okay. Thank You.

I’ve never been able to stand up to that kind of pressure.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

You're just a big softy Ralph!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yeah, you are a big softy!! You have a kind heart Ralph!!

9:51 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

ok i will be letting you know when ALL 3 of my boys are selling stuff for school and sports. lol

10:55 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

If you were a woman you'd be a prostitute Ralph.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Going Like Sixty said...

Hi,
Found you via Cliff.
I'll be back.
Re: Cliff's comment: you would never make it as a hooker - they sell their stuff. :-)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I agree. You're a softie! However, as far as what and why the kids are selling. If it's from the schools, many of the schools, in all states, are having the issues of losing state (and federal) funding for running the schools. This bill gets pushed back to the families. I am the president of our PTO. We have the kids do a major "catalog" fundraiser in the fall (as I'm sure most schools who fundraise do). But, we also have minor fundraisers from a local chocolate company and Scholastic Books.

Now, what you did was REALLY nice! You gave the young man something he likes AND paid for it. But, I think because you're married to a WONDERFUL teacher, you're inclined to help out "the little people."

You're the BEST!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ok, but why didn't you just get delivery and pop us some corn at Blogstock '08 along with your Butt Rub?
I found some excellent recipes you can try with your Butt Rub, plus a lot of other things by Googling "Butt Rub" like
http://www.buttrub.com/recipes.html
..
I agree with these, you are a big
softy!
..

10:41 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Yes, I think that if you hadn't caved when you did, Young Entrepreneur might have broken out the thumb-screws. *G*

11:20 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Popcorn, ummmm!
I'm with you on buying stuff from kids. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the three Boy Scout wreath's when I only have two doors. Luckily I'll have an equal amount of poinsettias to balance them out.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

I'll gladly send you my address, and you can have the mud puddles mailed here next time...

7:44 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Been there; done that...

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Uh, Ralph?! I'm selling dollar bils for twenty dollar each. How many can I sign you up for???
:-)
I like seeing a kid's face light up when I say, "Yes" to what they are selling. When we were on our driving vacation, some kids were selling bottled water for 50 cents each. I asked for four bottles, gave them a five dollar bill and said keep the change. You'd have thought I'd given them a hundred bucks! I hope they spent it well.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home