Thursday, January 24, 2008

Not Funny

A young lady at work walked into my office and started a conversation about my work car. She asked how I liked it because her husband and she were thinking of buying the same model.

“I hate that car,” I said. “It gets good gas mileage but that’s it. It’s cramped and there’s not much head room. If I drive across the state I need to get there early just so I have time to straighten up and don’t walk around like a little old man. It sets low to the ground so it’s hard to get in and out of. When you drive the visibility is terrible, there are a lot of blind spots . . .”

Just then, a “friend” my age walked into the office. “Excuse me Ralph but there’s a problem,” she said.

Those words have cleared people out of my office on more than one occasion. The young lady I was visiting with excused herself and left.

My “friend” handed me a folded piece of paper and immediately left my office. I heard her chuckling as I opened the paper. The note read, “Bad news Ralph. You are a little old man.”

Some things just aren’t funny – I wish her well in finding another job soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger Granny Annie said...

No, that's NOT Funny! Then why am I laughing? Well, it's a nervous tick. But that wasn't funny and your friend is a bad, bad friend....funny friend....oh, I mean bad friend. LOL!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I'm sure she won't have a problem finding work.
I know not the reason she was fired but lying wasn't the reason. I'm just saying.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Ralph -- The truth hurts, doesn't it?

My first was when I was in college again (age +/- 35) and one day the girls (young) started calling me sir.
Next was much later when after class (I always sat on the desk so students could stop) and the girls (young) would pat me on the leg.
Then a few years later even ladies I thought were my age begin patting me, (shoulders, other decent places).

BTW, we have a work car for sale that would fit you fine. (Our '99 Deville--two owner, both LOLs (little old ladies)--a picture is on the blog for yesterday)
..

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this lady ,can you have her give me a call.

Well you are a CUTE little old man...LOL

7:17 AM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

ha ha that is damn funny!!! on another note what kind of car is it??

7:26 AM  
Blogger LaDawn said...

When you got friends like that who needs enemies? But that was the funniest thing I've heard all week!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Looks like your co-workers are funny like you are Ralph!!

I think you would keep her around for revenge if nothing else!!!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

That's not what I expected to read, I mean you were all serious, and then I read that and laughed like a hyena causing both my cats to look at me funny.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Instead of firing her, you could have pointed out that you're really only 30- it's just the car that's made you look older! *G*

*still chuckling*

5:59 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Well, Ralph nd Jim. I'm a 52 year old woman and people sometimes address me as "sir."

Here is a post I put on my blog 1/7/07:
This is getting depressing.
I am a 51 year old woman.
One day, at the grocery store, without even asking, they gave me the senior citizen’s discount (which starts at age 55).
Okay, so I look old. I knew it was coming.
I have a mirror and I’m not blind to the grey hairs and wrinkles.
A few days later, the lady at the deli called me “sir.”
So now I think must look like an old man.
Then, just last week, a sample lady rushed over to me and handed me a Slim-Fast bar.
So I look like a fat old man.
So I went on a diet. (I’ll keep you posted).
I go out of my way to put delicate rings on my fingers and precious looking dangly earrings on my lobes.
And I’m growing out my hair and looking at mags to find a soft, curly style that my thin, graying hair can support.
My best friend, who is a cosmetologist, is going to show me how to do makeup.
I hate makeup – it makes my eyes itch and my face feel greasy and it leaves weird looking stains on the neckline of my shirts.
What’s the alternative?
Continue to go around looking like a fat old man.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

We need some folks over here in our office. Have come over and apply...

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home