Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Rest of the Trip

Before heading to the Morrow’s I spent some time in Nebraska City. I had a little free time so I decided to drive through town. That’s when I came across the Mayhew Cabin and museum.

This cabin is said to have been a stopping point of the underground railroad used by slaves escaping north to Canada in the late 1850’s. Beneath the cabin, you can walk through a reconstructed tunnel, once known as John Brown’s cave. Built in 1855 this cabin was the home of Allen and Barbara Mayhew along with their six kids. Slaves were originally hidden in the vegetable cellar. Later, a tunnel was constructed to help them escape capture.

Besides the Mayhew cabin, there is old farm equipment, an old church, a one-room schoolhouse, a railroad station, and this 1900’s farmhouse.

The house is completely furnished including the bathroom. Make no mistake about it, if I were living there I know who would be emptying that.

But after it was empty I would take a hot bath – as soon as I heated the water on the wood burning stove, assuming I had the wood split. There are no faucets on the tub. I couldn’t find a drain either. That made me stand there and wonder - how did they get the water out?

I spent about an hour walking the grounds and except for the lady who open up all the building for me and took my $3 admission fee, I had the whole place to myself. I did see a piece of farm equipment I think Cliff should buy. A McCormick-Deering stationary threshing machine. I don’t think even I could break that.

10 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

don't you loe old places like this? they are fascinating. You think Cliff would like that thresher? Looks to me like a pretty weird contraption.

5:37 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

It's hard to imagine... but at one time in this country's history, folks were more than happy to have ANYPLACE that they could call HOME! ~ jb///

7:50 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

If you ever get back to N.C. take in the Morton mansion. The chamber pots are painted to match the bedrooms.
Arbor Links golf course was designed by Arnold Palmer. I have played it twice and I hate it. It is now a private club so don't know if you could play there without a memeber.
During their Applejack festival they have more going on in the area behind the cabin. Things like a Shot gun wedding and a bar fight over a card game. Of course you can't go to the applejack festival and not have apple pie.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, you've been to Arbor Lodge so many times maybe you should try to buy that house. It could be your cabin near the river. (near meaning within a few miles)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

There was a time I hated tromping around historical homes. Now it amazes me how much I enjoy and marvel at the vintage items. Guess that is bacause I, too, am a vintage item:)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That piece of farming equipment looks like it could inflict some awful pain.
My mom said that when she was little, they had to share their bath water. She was one of fourteen kids, so the sooner your bath was, the better. I'm thinking that old tub you showed probably had many kids sharing the tub, one after the other. That water probably got mighty dirty, and I have no idea how it got drained either.
That old pot would by okay for pee, but NOT for number two. I thank the Lord for modern conveniences!! Toilets are a wonder!!!!!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

I would have loved to visit this place. Very interesting.
I'm glad I wasn't around then. No running water. No flushing toilet. No MTV. Ha- just kidding about the MTV, but no cable TV. Ugh.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

This is a good collection of photos. I'm ashamed to say, I've never been to NC, but I know a lot of the stories about John Brown and the Underground RR. Sounds like a good say trip for me & my brother to take.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

PS - I wonder if that farmhouse was purchased with a sub-prime mortgage? hehe

10:34 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Great tour, I would have loved it also. Don't you love seeing those kind of things alone, so you can gather your own thoughts?

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home